< Go back to the previous step    << Go back to the beginning

Display Technology

This step is really important, so read the info and make your decision wisely.  I would say that the majority of screens out there in the world are “Standard LED”, but yours might be different.

Elite12-Recal3.png

If you need help in deciding what technology your screen has, please comment below and I'll try to help out.

Workflow >>

Hi Damien

I am calibrating a new computer and Monitor and have the following. Do you know if it is Wide or Standard LED? It is an ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV. I think I found Standard but wanted to double check. 

Thanks

5 hours ago, SRubyor said:

Hi Damien

I am calibrating a new computer and Monitor and have the following. Do you know if it is Wide or Standard LED? It is an ASUS ProArt Display PA278QV. I think I found Standard but wanted to double check. 

Thanks

Gee... it could go either way.

Try Standard first, it should be fine.  But if it gives weird results, try Wide instead.

Thanks!! I just found it after I typed this. Thank you for the link. I thought I had asked before but couldn't find it. I uninstalled the software and am in the process of reinstalling to make sure it's completely right before moving forward.

I'm having big trouble getting my calibration right, so I want to be on the save side.
I contacted Datacolor a while back, and they gave me info on my screens (one has been replaced since then).
If possible, I'd like you to verify it.

Also, is there a way to find out your self, without bothering you?

I looked up all the datasheets for my displays and there is usually a point where it says "backlight" and the usually W-LED.
Is that point a false friend or what I am searching for? W=Wide? W=White? (Because it differs from the information I got from Datacolor, saying all of them were W-LED?)

Acer XV273K --- Datacolor: Wide
Idek IIYAMA PLX2783H    {ProLite XB2783HSU or PL2783H or ProLite XB2783HSU-B3} --- ???
{Innolux}   N173HHE-G32_CMN (Laptop)   /   GT72VR 7RE --- Datacolor: Standard?
Samsung U28D590D --- Datacolor: Standard?

A comparison of the desktop display datasheets:https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/619f25d8c7

Anyway, a great job you are doing here!!

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

What trouble are you having, exactly?

There were several problems.

The most annoying and frustrating one is that every time I try to calibrate my main System (Acer XV273K + Idek IIYAMA PLX2783H) I end up with a more or less strong green tint on my Acer.

I also had trouble that renaming it was not possible. This got fixed by deleting the AppData data folder, as was suggested in an other post.

Also I am frustrated how poorly colour management is implemented in the majority of the programs. The tip regarding the thing with some web browsers and programs having difficulties with multi screen setup was good to know. Do you know how Firefox 113.0.1 (64-Bit) behaves in this regard?

Also, one thing you should integrate into your guide, that EVERYBODY forgets about, are the driver settings regarding colour management. At one point my screen changed colour after I booted my PC or when I resumed working after the displays went to standby. Some software was battling in the background. I guess nvidia vs windows vs datacolor vs MSI-service. I could not get rid of the later one, but I deactivated the service and right now at least I don't have this problem....

I also tried creating a custom paper profile several times and failed. I ended up with a yellow tint. Presumably from light shining through the paper, while scanning it.

I think it would be best to delete my post and only put the results in here, that benefit other users?

I really appreciate the help!

1 hour ago, Schmiddy said:

The most annoying and frustrating one is that every time I try to calibrate my main System (Acer XV273K + Idek IIYAMA PLX2783H) I end up with a more or less strong green tint on my Acer.

How are the two screens connected to your computer?  Both to your graphics card?

Yes. It is an 2080ti, 7820X, 64GB Ram, X299 XPOWER GAMING AC, Win10-64Bit.

The Acer is connected via one Display-Port Cable (Should be the cable that came with it). It is not set to standard mode but to DCI-Mode (P3), since it deactivates all the nonsense features and sets the white point to 6500K.
I don't know the cable I used for the IIYAMA (I am not at home). It's predecessor that left me after 20 years of faithful service was connected via an DVI-Adapter to Displayport 1.1a and also caused no problems.

11 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Oh gee, that's bad.  Always Standard.

Ok, I will try, but it will take a few days until I'm home.

In nvidia control panel reference mode to off. Is that correct?

Regarding my initial question:

On 5/14/2023 at 9:38 PM, Schmiddy said:

I looked up all the datasheets for my displays and there is usually a point where it says "backlight" and the usually W-LED.
Is that point a false friend or what I am searching for? W=Wide? W=White? (Because it differs from the information I got from Datacolor, saying all of them were W-LED?)

Acer XV273K --- Datacolor: Wide
Idek IIYAMA PLX2783H    {ProLite XB2783HSU or PL2783H or ProLite XB2783HSU-B3} --- ???
{Innolux}   N173HHE-G32_CMN (Laptop)   /   GT72VR 7RE --- Datacolor: Standard?
Samsung U28D590D --- Datacolor: Standard?

A comparison of the desktop display datasheets:https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/619f25d8c7

Is there a way to find out your myself?

Then I can start right away, when I'm home. 😉