Remove a background

They want to use it for a hand out given to people who are adopting DQ'd service dogs (with training tips etc.) It will be going on a bright or dark teal background.  I think it will be printed on a normal office printer but I am not sure.

Ok!  I will ask them if they NEED a transparent background, I have a PDF of the file they are using so I will try to  grab the colour from there

First, make a marquee selection across the top of the image, then add a Solid Color on that area, with the colour you showed me.

dog1.thumb.jpg.249e703e79c595e9f1fcf79cd14295e2.jpg

Then add a Levels layer below that Solid Color layer, and use the white eyedropper to turn the white (and the dog!) into teal.

dog2.thumb.jpg.fa9f432768a54fa979b2d4b2f91c0629.jpg

Then mask around the dog carefully.

dog3.thumb.jpg.63739adeeb807adad97f0bb550bed5f0.jpg

Then turn off or delete the Solid Color layer.

dog4.thumb.jpg.15fd0317e58d6972bfb7a19d58a36e46.jpg

Woah! That looks awesome!  Okay so I did the rectangle with the teal colour, added a levels layer below it, double clicked the white eye dropper - but I can't select the teal colour? What am I missing?

Update: I typed in the numbers for the colour and got it to work! Are you supposed to be able to click on the colour rectangle to get the right real colour?

Ok so I tried it with the darker teal and it has created a very harsh line around her fur - I tried to reduce the opacity and brush black onto the line but it created a bit of a halo around her (but still with a harsh line) but maybe my brush wasn't small enough?

_DSC6456 copy.jpg

Okay so these are the other two that I did - solid colour worked much better - not perfect but I realized it was going to be a tiny photo on the handout.

The second on was much more straight forward!

abby CC.jpg

abby CC2.jpg