Jump to next slide >>

Customising the action

Here are all the steps of the action:

wmact08b.thumb.gif.61706177c767ec5ede30e862699160ef.gif

Don’t worry, we don’t need to customise all of them. Just a handful.

IMPORTANT: To do the following steps, you need to have a photo open in Photoshop. It doesn’t matter what photo it is, any photo will do. Open one up now.

Crop

First, we turn our attention to the Crop step. By default, it’s turned on – its little black checkbox is checked:

temp.png.5d06d7682f55dd4da2f06b971f64943e.png

You need to decide whether you want a crop step in the action. If you leave it on, the action will pause briefly for you to crop each photo. If you turn if off, you’ll need to crop manually before you run the batch.

It’s your call. If you don’t want the cropping to happen in the action, turn off that little black check that I’ve circled in red above.

The crop step which is built into the action is a freeform crop – that is, no particular shape. If you use it, you’ll be able to crop each image exactly how you like it for composition, but every photo will end up a different shape – that’s the nature of freeform cropping.

So, if you need your photos to be cropped to a specific shape every time (eg 11:15, or whatever), you’ll definitely need to turn off the crop step in the action, and do it manually (more info about this later).

Next: Fit Image >>

Why are we cropping picture here? Should we just fix the aspect ratio here and when do save as, there use the pixel size for web? I see that it actually crops the picture and limits the size and i have to pick what areas i want to keep. Instead,what if i dont want to crop and want to keep the picture as is, and then later determine the pixel so i can keep the complete picture. ? Basically I dont want to crop

4 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

workflow to include cropping, because at least SOME of your images will need cropping.

Agree, so we crop here to what all we want to include? Then where we set the web size. I am lost now sorry!

5 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

fix aspect ratio"

11:6 (or the standard you recommend-I cant remember the exact number sorry) including all the picture details we want to see, and then save to the pixel size is what i mean

4 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Agree, so we crop here to what all we want to include?

Correct.  And if you want to include the whole photo, you draw the crop marquee around the edges of the whole photo.

5 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Then where we set the web size.

That comes later.

5 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

11:6 (or the standard you recommend-I cant remember the exact number sorry) including all the picture details we want to see, and then save to the pixel size is what i mean

It's 11:15, and that DOES require cropping.