Jump to next slide >>

Choosing Jpegs for archiving

As I’ve explained, I archive my master files in PSD format. However, you certainly don’t need to do it that way.

PSD files are BIG files! If you edit a lot of photos every year, it might be impractical to choose PSD as the archive format.

Earlier in this module I mentioned the “myth” of Jpeg compression damage. The truth is, a high quality Jpeg file is ... well, exactly what it says! High quality. So you should have no hesitation about archiving your master files in Jpeg format, if it suits you.

While the job is “live”, I definitely encourage you to save in PSD format so that you can access the layers to re-edit them where necessary. But once the job is printed, paid, and put to bed, you can flatten the layers, and save a high quality Jpeg instead of a PSD, ready to archive. Your disk space will thank you!

(By “high quality”, I’m talking about quality level 11 or 12 when saving the Jpeg. If you were terribly tight on disk space, you could use level 10, but 11/12 would be safer.)

That’s enough about workflow for now >>

• Like 7

If I am only doing basic adjustments in ACR (nothing in PS), is there any reason why I can't just 'save as' jpeg directly from ACR? Waiting for the files to open into PS takes more time and increases workflow time, so I am wondering if its necessary to do - and if it is necessary or advisable, can you explain why? Thanks!

9 hours ago, Hopskotch said:

If I am only doing basic adjustments in ACR (nothing in PS), is there any reason why I can't just 'save as' jpeg directly from ACR? Waiting for the files to open into PS takes more time and increases workflow time, so I am wondering if its necessary to do - and if it is necessary or advisable, can you explain why? Thanks!

For what reason do you need the jpegs?

Primarily for posting online to share with family and friends.  Sometimes I'll print one or two of them to hang in my office or give to my mother, but I don't print these larger than 4x6 or 5x7 at most.  Is the quality of the jpeg saved directly from ACR different than if saved as jpeg from PS?

Don't I have to create jpegs to post them online and print them (the as needed part)?  My question wasn't about long-term saving/archiving, just the "save as" function. Do I still need to save it as a PSD file in ACR, and then open the PSD file in photoshop to then save as jpeg so I can post them online, even if I don't do any editing in PS?

Just now, JanessaTaber said:

Is a PSD file usually much larger than a high quality jpg?

Yes, a lot larger.

Just now, JanessaTaber said:

How do you save a high quality jpg and what’s the difference between a jpg and a high quality jpg  file? 

The quality of jpeg is dictated by the slider you get when saving.  In Photoshop it's a 0-12 scale.

OK so from the PSD file I typically save at 10 high quality cause that is what my lab prefers. is this still ok?

So from the PSD I should save for web keep in one folder and another set for clients digitals at no resolution and the 11x15 ratio in another folder? Is what I'm understanding. I've always used the client file for web use as well and website :/ To me they look fine on social media and website. So then I guess I should go-ahead and save the web and psd files on  the external?

The web sized can I keep those in the picture folder on my iMac since they are small ? I refer back to those through out the year.

19 minutes ago, Michelle Pena said:

OK so from the PSD file I typically save at 10 high quality cause that is what my lab prefers. is this still ok?

Yes, if the lab have specifically asked for that, that's very helpful of them.

20 minutes ago, Michelle Pena said:

I've always used the client file for web use as well and website :/ To me they look fine on social media and website.

You only say "they look fine" because you've never seen how much better they can be.

20 minutes ago, Michelle Pena said:

The web sized can I keep those in the picture folder on my iMac since they are small ?

Yes.