Jump to next slide >>

What is the purpose of Raw processing

As Raw processing programs evolve, they are swelling with clever functionality for specific tasks. ACR and Lightroom can now perform a lot of selective and artistic editing that was once the sole domain of Photoshop; in fact, some photographers edit and proof entire sessions without ever leaving their Raw program.

In this class, I want to boil it all down to the original core purpose of Raw processing - as an extension of photography itself.

Raw processing is more closely related to photography than to Photoshop. For example:

• Adjusting the white balance in Raw is the same as adjusting it in camera;
  • Adjusting the exposure in Raw is akin to adjusting your metering in camera;
  • Reducing noise in Raw is similar to lowering the ISO in camera;
  • etc, etc.

Therefore, the fundamental goal of Raw processing is exactly the same as when you’re shooting - to achieve a good, clean, well-exposed, correctly-lit image.

What ISN’T the purpose of Raw processing

There are two things that Raw processing is not.

The first one, I’ve already discussed: It’s not meant to be a fix for poor photography. Sure, it can be, but that’s not ideal.

The second one is more ideological: It’s not meant to be an end, but a beginning. Raw processing doesn’t make masterpieces; it lays the foundation for them.

If you’ve captured a great photo that is going to take pride of place in your portfolio, or on your wall, you’ll begin with a lovely clean Raw edit. But that’s not enough by itself - you also need to do some Photoshop editing to make it the best it can be. Skin smoothing, eye enhancing, grass greening, colour popping - all those one-percenters that’ll make people say “Wow!”.

Good Photoshopping can’t be achieved without sound Raw processing; and sound Raw processing can’t create masterpieces without good Photoshopping. They need each other to exist.

Continue >>

• Like 10

Hi

Having so much fun brushing up on my editing with this class.  Just to clarify. Like the adjustment brush the straighten and graduated filter should be left for photoshop? Also my original editing workflow would be opening acr and doing Lens Profile Correction (which also lightens the edges somewhat) and Remove Chromatic Aberration first thing before doing any other adjustments. Any reason I should not be doing that? 

8 hours ago, Roleen said:

Just to clarify. Like the adjustment brush the straighten and graduated filter should be left for photoshop?

Straightening in raw automatically induces cropping.  If you've shot really loose you can straighten in raw, but otherwise yes, leave it for Photoshop.

The graduated filter isn't as bad as the adjustment brush, but yes, generally leave it for PS.

Also my original editing workflow would be opening acr and doing Lens Profile Correction (which also lightens the edges somewhat)

Please don't use Lens Correction thoughtlessly on every photo.  Only use it on the ones that need it.  Otherwise it will cause harm, not good.

and Remove Chromatic Aberration first thing before doing any other adjustments

It doesn't have to be first thing.  It can be last if you wish.  But yes, do it in raw.

• Like 2

So what you're telling me is now that I've figured out RAW more I need to figure out photoshop more in order to do the things I want to do? Do you have a class for that or is that the Levels class?  Photoshop sometimes makes me cringe and I'm scared to touch things, I am getting more comfortable but not enough to really know it's full potential. 

When doing your RAW edit in ACR should you only be looking at it globally - meaning, if necessary you make a global/overall WB, Exposure, Noise adjustment VS using the adjustment brush and making very localized specific adjustments?   If so are there any times when  you do suggest using the Adjustment Brush?

4 hours ago, Maria_Angelo said:

When doing your RAW edit in ACR should you only be looking at it globally - meaning, if necessary you make a global/overall WB, Exposure, Noise adjustment VS using the adjustment brush and making very localized specific adjustments?   If so are there any times when  you do suggest using the Adjustment Brush?

http://www.damiensymonds.net/2014/11/the-bldy-adjustment-brush.html

On 3/16/2016 at 4:54 PM, Damien Symonds said:

Please don't use Lens Correction thoughtlessly on every photo.  Only use it on the ones that need it.  Otherwise it will cause harm, not good.

Can you elaborate?  How do you know when to use it, and when not to use it?  How can you tell it is causing harm?