Layers missing

Can anyone explain to me how the base layer can disappear from the panel and yet it obviously is there?  Screenshot layers panel shows that the background layer isn't there and yet you can see it in background.  When I try to add a new blank layer it doesn't show either but a levels layer does.  Notice the history panel.  Those bottom 5 "new Layer's were added and not showing.  The last "new levels Layer is level #11.  This has happened more than once and seems to becoming more frequent.    If I close PS and reopen they are there.--I think I just found the reason but now I want to know the reasoning or when I would want to use it?  It's that little red slider on the top right corner of layers panel which evidently I'm accidentally turning on.  When I put my cursor over it it doesn't give me a name for it.  What does it actually turn on and off?  Thanks!

I figured out what it is but finished the question because I wanted to know "why it is there and when I would use it"  Sorry the wording got long but I tend to find things as I as ask.

I have a Mac laptop running Mojave and Photoshop 2020. It is over 2 years old, and has 32GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 664GB free out of 2 TBGB. The last time I shut down was more than 24 hours ago. I run a cleanup program about once a week.

19 minutes ago, NancyA said:

-I think I just found the reason but now I want to know the reasoning or when I would want to use it?  It's that little red slider on the top right corner of layers panel which evidently I'm accidentally turning on.  When I put my cursor over it it doesn't give me a name for it.  What does it actually turn on and off?  Thanks!