Canon camera body

Falon

Hi Brian I’m looking at purchasing a new canon camera body. My canon 7D has focus issues. It’s so hit and miss and driving me nuts, so before I send it away I was hoping to purchase a new body so then I have got a spare. 

Can you recommend a few good ones I can look into. 

These are my lens

EF 24-105

EF 70-200

EF 50

EF 100

EFS 10-22 which I’m aware wont work on a full frame camera which I’m all good about.

Budget maybe around the $3000 mark. I’m not really sure I just need it to be good. 

I'm back. My Holiday...It was Windy. :)

OK, so you mostly have Full Frame Lenses, so no worries there. Now it's time to talk budget. At this point, you could go up to a used 5D Mark III that's in good shape or a 5D Mark IV. Unless you want to stay with a crop body.

The reason is the angle of view is different and you won't get that "Magnifying Effect" or "Crop Factor" as you would with a Crop Camera, like your Canon 7D. If you shoot wildlife such as birds, this might be an issue because 200mm on a full frame, will be 200mm instead of acting like 320mm. Now, I get it...optically 200mm is 200m...200mm is still 200mm, it's just the Angle of View Change happens at the sensor, since it's smaller on a crop body. Meaning, your 24-105 will be "Wider" than what you are used to at the 24mm end. Make sense? Right now your 24-105 acts like a 38.4mm - 168mm. (Canon Crop Factor: Focal Length x 1.6). So you may not need to go rush out and get a 11-24 L Lens, your 24-105 might work better for you. 

So you have full frame glass, so your overall overhead won't be too bad. You can upgrade to anything that you want. This is good news because if all you had was crop lenses, like your 10-22, then we are talking over $5000+ to switch to Full Frame. Now, you can go in any direction. So I guess it boils down to what you shoot?

The main things I take photos of is children, families and landscape. I do enjoy taking photos of birds but I don’t do it a lot. I would like to purchase new as I worry about used cameras and how they have been treated. I think I’d like to go with a full frame camera as I will send my 7d away to have it looked at and hopefully will still have it if it’s worth repairing. I’m just hating it a lot at the moment as the focus is so hit and miss. 

What are your thoughts on mirrorless cameras? I haven't really looked into them as much. 

The Canon 7D, especially the Mark I, was notorious for focusing issues. They do have a Canon 7D Mark II version, which is around $1400 or so. (US Dollars.) For a new Full Frame Body, you are looking at a Canon 5D Mark IV, which should be around $2500. Personally, I would upgrade to full frame. Once you go Full Frame, it's tough to go back to Crop.

Mirrorless...it's all the rage with the Measurebators. It gives people who write blogs about cameras something to write about and YouTube personalities something to talk about. While there are adapters to make your lenses compatible with a Mirrorless Body, in reality it's sometimes better to get the Mirrorless lenses to go with the bodies in order to take advantage of all the camera's features. 

I will say this, I am interested in Mirrorless, but I'm also waiting. Sales of Mirrorless aren't as great as Marketing makes things out to be, and DSLRs are still being sold. Plus, I really don't want to buy a Mirrorless Version of the Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 to go with a Nikon Mirrorless Body as that will make it my 3rd 24-70. This Shit gets expensive, so I'm waiting. Hopefully a Pro-Grade Mirrorless Body will be released soon. For the Canon side, the Canon EOS R6 looks interesting, and is the same price as a 5D Mark IV. I'd check YouTube for some reviews, and take things with a grain-of-salt, then make a decision.

Either way I'd recommend Full Frame be your next purchase. Keep in mind you might have to purchase extra batteries and remote cables, plus memory cards.

I’m def going to upgrade to the 5D mark lV. But I was considering also purchasing the 7D mark ll in a few months time depending on what they say about my 7D once I send it away for repairs. Does the mark ll have the same horrid focus problem? 

The reason Im considering this is so I still had a crop camera and I then have a spare. Do you think I’m crazy and shouldn’t bother? Do you think I’ll find it hard switching between both? I just thought that way I could still use my EF-S 10-22 and if I wanted that extra zoom when using my 70-200 I could still have that as well. 

Edited by Falon

5 hours ago, Falon said:

if you know of any problems people have had with the 5D mark IV.

Your Google search is as good as mine. :D I'm a Nikon shooter. 

The main thing with the Canon Cameras is to not use a CF Card and a SD Card together. Canon likes to cut corners to save costs, and if you use a SD card at the same time as a CF card, the CF card's write speed slows down to match the slower SD Card Slot. So for the best performance, use a CF card only in a 5D Mark Whatever.

From the quick search that I did about the 5D Mark IV, it seems the majority of problems people are complaining about is when it comes to video. I also saw a AF ON button issue, when pressed, it sometimes locks up the camera. But I'm thinking this is a problem with the body, bad switch as it were. It doesn't seem to have the focus problems like your 7D.

9 hours ago, Falon said:

Does the mark ll have the same horrid focus problem? 

Yes. But there seems to be a firmware update that helps this. That said, there are a lot of threads / articles about the poor performance in the focusing dept. with both the 7D Mark I and Mark II. In reality, I'd avoid both of those bodies. Spending money to have them fixed out of warranty, which they should have worked in the damn first place, with no guarantees of things working correctly even after it's "fixed," is like throwing money away, in my humble opinion. But that's your call.

9 hours ago, Falon said:

I will also have a look at the R6 to before purchasing the 5D to see which one I’d prefer 

This is going to be a tough one. Personally, I would try to find one in real life and hold one. Mirrorless bodies are A LOT Smaller than DSLR Bodies. If you do go the R6 route and can't hold one prior, make sure the place you buy from has a great return policy and use the camera right away. Meaning, don't get it on a Tuesday and wait until the Weekend to test it out. If you don't like it, you don't want to cut into a 14 day return policy.

I'd also give this video a watch as well. Of course, this particular video is favoring the Mirrorless Body for taking video, which makes sense since it's newer technology. If you are primarily taking actual photographs, they recommend the Canon 5D Mark IV. Plus, as I've stated above, and they implied this in the video, to get the best performance out of a Mirrorless Body, you need the Mirrorless-based lenses to go with it. Sure you can use an adapter ring, but in reality, you are buying all new lenses to go with a Mirrorless Body. Since you already have great glass, why bother forking out another $6000+?

So my vote & recommendation for you is a 5D Mark IV. Enjoy your purchase.

• Like 1

Oh, and if you are wondering what's next? When you get your new camera, LEARN ALL OF YOUR FOCUS MODES!!

Don't worry about fancy editing and toys with your camera. Learn the focus modes. All of them. Know which ones to use and when, and know which modes to avoid due to your shooting style. Then start playing with all the menus and such. :)

• Thanks 1