Hoping I am posting in the right section since my question is kind of on your storyboard article.

I am creating my first collage. I have created a layout, there is one bigger photo that is 11" x 18" and the other photos are 6.5" x 8" (I know they are weird sizes but it's the only way I could get them all to fit). Should I crop the images to 6.5 x 8 300 res and then place the cropped file? Or should I just place the whole image and then use free transform and clip to the shape layer to eliminate the parts I dont want?

Also I am thinking about adding a small border to make the photos stand out from the background. I know you have said not to sharpen the borders but when I set up the layout  I did each of my shapes on a separate layer (then just read your article on doing them all on one layer - whoops) so if the photo is clipped to a shape all on separate layers how do I not sharpen the border? I have never used layer effects so I may just not be understanding something.

Thanks for any help.

I have only created the layout, I havent actually put the photos in yet because I wasn't sure whether to crop first then place (and if so should I flatten, crop and save as a jpeg - I think keep it as a psd?) Or whether to just place the whole image the resize it to the shape.

Either way I am attaching the layout, it will be a 24 x 36 .

rough layout_4.jpg

On 09/07/2016 at 10:38 AM, Gemma Schaefer said:

Also I am thinking about adding a small border to make the photos stand out from the background. I know you have said not to sharpen the borders but when I set up the layout  I did each of my shapes on a separate layer (then just read your article on doing them all on one layer - whoops) so if the photo is clipped to a shape all on separate layers how do I not sharpen the border?

Yeah, this is a bugger.  You might need to sharpen each image one at a time.

1 hour ago, Gemma Schaefer said:

rough layout_4.jpg

The spacing looks uneven on either side of the middle image.

Thanks for your help. I agree that the middle looks uneven, it looked fine with the grids on but as soon as I posted here I thought the same.

I am going to start placing my photos in. Just purely out of interest why do you not crop to the correct size and 300 res before placing the images? I would have thought that by placing the whole image and then using the shape to kind of crop to what you want to see you would be lowering the quality of the image, or am I completely confused on resolution?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Gemma Schaefer said:

I am going to start placing my photos in. Just purely out of interest why do you not crop to the correct size and 300 res before placing the images? I would have thought that by placing the whole image and then using the shape to kind of crop to what you want to see you would be lowering the quality of the image, or am I completely confused on resolution?

Completely confused, yes.

By Placing the whole image, you can use the PSD, and you must know, surely, that PSDs are the supreme quality file?  No quality is lost with a PSD.

But quite apart from that, it's a HUGE time-saver to simply place the master file.  None of those intermediate steps.

Trust me on this.

I completely trust you, your PS skills are off the charts.

Just trying to learn and grow and make sure I understand what I am doing so next time I don't bug you with the same questions. :)

Thanks again for your help. If I get stuck on the sharpening side can I take it back to the print sharpening class please?

Oh dear! I am only placing the first one and I have already come across a problem! When I shot the photo I did it lopsided :( so there was more greenery on one side that the other...by placing it I cant get it to fit in the area I need it to fit in. Is there some way I can make it fit or am I screwed?

Attaching a screen shot

FIgured I would work on placing other photos while I was waiting for a response. Placed the next one and it is too zoomed in. When I created the collage I made the layout based on the jpeg images I had edited and shown to my client, placing them in the collage as a whole psd file is giving a completely different crop! Any ideas on what I can do, if anything?

Can you tell this is my first collage?!

Sorry to respond again but I think I answered the too zoomed in question...ctrl t and free transform them to fit? Being a smart object they should maintain the quality right?

I also used ctrl T to do the larger photo at the bottom which made it work but will enlarging it to fit affect the quality? Or no because it is a smart object?

Thanks and sorry for my panicky messages ^