Even out shadows in face

DGrundmann

Hello Damien! I have been trying to even out the shadows in her face which have been cast on her by the off camera flash I used. I just can´t get it right and need help with this.

Would you mind to take a look and tell me what your approach would be? 

Here is the image and a 700x700 crop. 

643061959_AlexaPortraitUmbrellafertigmitSunray3.thumb.jpg.44007b34e8594c4498969dcc8a3c9ed8.jpg1705713684_AlexaPortraitUmbrellafertigmitSunraycrop.thumb.jpg.f26e9c8f87e7a169edf8d188bc6b9cde.jpg

(Being halfway through the Raw Class and looking at the image right now (that I had started to edit way before), I realize that I have to restart editing it because of all the noise I see now and that I didn't remove). I also just saw that I warped the umbrella in an attempt to give her hair more movement, have to avoid that the next time... ? Also I need the sharpening class, I know, because I neither want to die from measles nor from chickenpox, to use one of your analogies that really stuck with me ? )

1 hour ago, DGrundmann said:

I realize that I have to restart editing it because of all the noise I see now and that I didn't remove). I also just saw that I warped the umbrella in an attempt to give her hair more movement,

Don't forget how you warped her cheek and generally messed up the hair swap on that camera-left side of her face.

I can help you with the shadow, but I'll wait, if you don't mind.  Start again and avoid all those other problems.

Ouch! You caught me! There's really no flaw in an image that could escape your eagle eyes ? 

Ok! I'm totally for doing things the right way. I'll finish my first read through of the raw class (probably tomorrow), try my hand at a proper edit of the raw file and post it for you. 

Thank you!! 

Edited by DGrundmann

Hey Damien! 

So I tried to reproduce what you did, but so far I'm failing miserably. No matter how I try to paint the levels layer in, I either end up with a bright edge or a dark edge around the area. It just doesn't want to blend ?

I tried all kinds of different opacities and flow combinations, but I just don't get it done. Would you mind sharing with me a little about the process, how you paint it on? Do you start with a low opacity or high opacity, and start with the inside area, or do you take care of the edges first? Am I missing something else to get this right? 

I started with full opacity.  I did the edges first, and then filled in the rest.

Because I'd used 100% brush opacity, this meant that some areas were too dark.  So then I used a low-opacity black brush to gradually reduce those areas until the blend looked right.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

I started with full opacity.  I did the edges first, and then filled in the rest.

Because I'd used 100% brush opacity, this meant that some areas were too dark.  So then I used a low-opacity black brush to gradually reduce those areas until the blend looked right.

Thank you!! Will try again!