Hi Damien, I have been stuck on this for a few days and just cannot install Bridge.  I have paused all syncing etc and had no issues with downloading PS and Raw.  Do you have any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 9.49.28 am.png

I have a Mac laptop running macOS Big Sur 11.3 and Lightroom 10.2. It is under 6 months old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 57.47GB free out of 494.38GB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I have never run a cleanup program.

27 minutes ago, Stephie83 said:

Yay!

23 minutes ago, Stephie83 said:

Its hard drive has 57.47GB free out of 494.38GB.

Oh gee.  This is very bad.  You need 150GB free at least.  Time for a cleanup.

• Like 1

Yes. In full disclosure I purchased a new Mac and lumped everything onto it. All my raws are currently stored in iCloud, Lightroom catalogs which I’ve hated from the start have terrified me from the thought of moving anything. That’s how I came across your courses and resources to get away from the it. If you have any links or can point me to the best place to get organised and clean this mess up I would be forever grateful. Im also conscious the bridge class might lead me on the path anyhow. 

Ok I have read this! I didnt realise this is how desktops worked ie keeping things located there "open" at all times! Yikes.  Ok so I have cleared everything away.  Right now I have all my files stored in my iCloud.  Which is convenient to access and at least I know they are safe, but extremely frustrating when I quickly need to access files but they need to download etc and I am sure its impacting how fast my MacBook Pro can operate. 

On 7/30/2021 at 9:17 PM, Stephie83 said:

So am I right in saying that I need to clear files from my iCloud too - even though it's cloud storage? 

Yes. They are backed up in iCloud, but the files themselves are still located on your Hard Drive.  In a sense, you have three duplicates of the same files. One is where they are stored first. The second are the files that are located in your iCloud Account...and Third, those files that are in iCloud are then stored locally on your Hard Drive in the iCloud Folder. So what you will need to do is turn off Automatic Syncing and then clear the iCloud folders on the local Macintosh HD.

Honestly? 500GB is just too small for a main HD these days. You are better off investing in a Thunderbolt G-Drive EHD and move all of your files there and work off that drive. That's what I do. Now, normally, if it was just a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 drive, working off an External HD would not be the best option. Thunderbolt 3 however, IS FAST. It's so fast that honestly? It feels like I'm working off my internal HD. Here is the Hard Drive that I'm talking about, and this seems to be the BRAND NEW release.

G-Drive 12TB - Thunderbolt 3

Now, I will warn you...G-Drives aren't cheap. They aren't the "$99.99 Special" from a Big Box Store. But they are made of high-quality components and are Enterprise Grade, which is really what you want when it comes to storing your data. They also come with all of the cables that you need and are already Macintosh Formatted. So just plug it in and go.  

• Thanks 1

Hi Brian, thank you so much for this! Wow - and there was me thinking that the iCloud was a perfect solution.  I will be honest I got a little lost in the second paragraph.  And the G Drive isn't really something I can afford right now.  I know perhaps not ideal but I have a couple of Lacie drives that I haven't yet used.  Could this be a good interim solution and move things there?

In the meantime if I switch off automatic syncing with this speed up things for me?