Does monitor ports matter?

I noticed on the back of my monitor, I have two options for connection cable: DVI port or VGA. I'm buying a new monitor and it had HDMI or VGA.

On the back of a tower computer that I've decided to start using, it has HDMI, DVI, and Display-Port (looks like HDMI but one side is squared off).

I am just curious if any of these cords/ports have any effect on the color accuracy of the display on the monitor? It seems like it would not, but I'm not a tech person so I thought maybe I would check. 

DO NOT USE THE 15-PIN VGA PORT (aka D-SUB Port) with today's fancy flat-screens!!!

VGA is analog and has been around since 1987. It was only meant for TUBE Displays up to about 20" or so. DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort are DIGITAL Connections. Meaning, think of VGA like an old VHS Tape. HDMI or DisplayPort, the two most common ports on new monitors today, as Blu-Ray DVDs on a High Def TV.

So yes, the port choice DOES make a difference. HDMI / DisplayPort have better Contrast, Colors and are much Sharper overall. I've also found Digital Monitor Ports to be a bit brighter as well, probably due to a power upgrade in addition to video signal. There is a BIG difference between an Analog Display Port and a Digital one.

As for the Difference between HDMI or DisplayPort? It's a wash, but I find that 4K Displays like DisplayPort better. Also, you can get all sorts of adapters with DisplayPort. You can buy a Display Port to HDMI, DisplayPort to DVI or even DisplayPort to VGA (Not recommended, again...avoid VGA in 2021.) That port is so versatile and the one I would use on my computer.

• Thanks 1