Monitor calibration settings

I just finished calibrating my monitor and followed Damien's instructions.

Brian, can you tell me if this is ok for iMac settings ? :/ 

D50 -64 lum....Prints seem to match up ok..I don't know if it's just me looking at them too long but the prints look a slightly green and my screen slightly red?

I don't think a client would see it but I do. I'll drag my results in. I use x rite  i1display pro. I am at 2 bars on the brightness.

Thank you for any help.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 1.19.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 1.18.55 PM.png

Edited by Michelle Pena
Because I'm an idiot

8 minutes ago, Michelle Pena said:

I checked and this what they recommended. 

BF865422-8535-4657-A703-054270CAF8FF.png

Phew!

8 minutes ago, Michelle Pena said:

I remember trying those settings before and it was off , prints didn’t match. I’ll try this again.

Yes, because the light in your room is completely terrible, as we've already established.

Ok , then that’s why I use the d50 it’s the closest setting to a match print.I had a photographer suggest to me to edit in a dark room with dim lighting lol! Wha??!  And 4 bars on her iMac and she says her prints are not dark. Don’t worry I’m not going to do that.  

I’ve been at D55 for the labs I use with my Mac. Target is 80-82 on the average. It matches my prints. I also keep the Display at 2 Ticks from the left to match the brightness of my prints. Any higher and I get dark prints. 

• Like 1

I use CPQ.com. Now some info on them, a little color goes a long way. Don’t oversaturate your colors or go “Nuclear” with them. I’d order a round of test prints from them, just to make sure if you don’t need to modify your editing style. 

I also use Zno.com for my Wife’s Photo Albums of photos taken from our trips each year. CGPro for my Canvases. 

Keep in mind, my “D55 Setting” works for me and my Mac’s screen. Your experience might be different, so get a few test prints from at least 3-5 vendors and marry the best one that matches the closest. You may not obtain 100%, but 95% or more is what you are after. 

I understand that, unfortunately ShootProof does not any of those labs as an option :/ I’d have to switch to IPS probably to use any of those labs. Not ready for that switch yet. I want to focus on the raw class first. 

Thank you Brian. 

7 hours ago, Michelle Pena said:

ShootProof does not any of those labs as an option

Well, here are a list of their Print Fulfillment Vendors.

Out of all of them on the list, I would avoid Miller's. Yes, we know their Customer Service is #Amazing. We get it, but Miller's is stuck back in the 1990's and they are damn near impossible to get their prints matching.

What I would do, is investigate each one of the Printing Vendors. They should have a section on their respective websites that offers test prints of some kind. Make sure your test  prints are matte/lustre too. A little investigating will prevent having unhappy clients.

Yes.

You can also just send what you have now, or re-edit a few and stamp them with some text that says they are the tweaked based on the new calibration. But new prints are not required, you just need something to compare your screen to. If your prints in the past seemed “fine” and the new calibration profile is off, we need to know. Don’t ever think that since your monitor is calibrated, it’s “fine;” this is the reason that test prints are so important  

So definitely send some photos off that were edited before you calibrated. Usually test prints make up 5-10 photos on the average.