Switching from iMac to PC

Hello Brian,

We have talked about this in the past but I can't seem to find the post. Anyway, since Apple has done away with an upgradable 27-inch.I want to switch to a windows PC.

Now, of course, I have everything apple and everything syncs. My hard drives with past client sessions are all formatted to iMac. How hard of a change will this be? Or how much of a pain will this be? I don't want to switch, but I need a PC to handle my D850 large files and all the freakiing updates with PS. I'm still using 2019 version and would love to upgrade to the newer version.

Would you be able to advise me as to what would be the best way to make the change and also suggest a computer/screen?  I really dread this lol! Because I hate change ha! 

I’m currently away on vacation this week and will answer this fully when I get back to my computer. 

Yes, it will be a major pain-in-the-ass switching back and attention to details will be required. 

A Computer with at least 64GB of RAM will be required. I have a Nikon D850, so I can empathize. 

More to come…

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 1:13 PM, Michelle Pena said:

My hard drives with past client sessions are all formatted to iMac. How hard of a change will this be? Or how much of a pain will this be?

The first step is for you to purchase a new Windows Computer, with an IPS-Based Screen and a Large External Hard Drive. I'd recommend looking at a 12TB model of some kind. You will want to delete ANY existing partitions on this drive and create new ones WITH YOUR WINDOWS COMPUTER!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. NEVER TRUST A APPLE PRODUCT CREATING WINDOWS PARTITIONS!!

I have tried, and have failed each time. ;) Nothing beats creating a Windows Partition on a Windows Computer. Since we are migrating data, I want something solid and predictable. No need to purchase software, Windows has a built-in disk utility. Takes about 5 minutes.

Then you will need to buy software to install on your Mac that will allow it to write to a NTFS (Windows) Partition. It's about $20 (US Dollars). By default, a Mac will READ a Windows Drive, but not write to it. Of course, there is a way to enable this feature without buying anything, but I don't trust it. Apple doesn't support it and since this is your data, I'm not screwing around. I would not trust any exFAT Partitions either, even though you can Read/Write between a Windows Machine and a Mac with exFAT. Don't fall for Marketing, exFAT is not Bullet-Proof.

So get your Windows Computer and get back to me.

For the most part, yes. There is one minor difference, is that now you really need to pay attention to what video card / GPU is installed and if it has dedicated video memory or not. Now, this hasn't changed since 2022, but with the current releases of Adobe's Products, we are getting more errors and problems and they all have one thing in common: the user's Video Card isn't playing well with the most recent versions of Photoshop. Even if the computer is "only" a few years old. Hell, even Adobe Bridge is having issues with Video Cards. So in essence, the Video Card selection is just as important, if not more important, than the CPU Chip! For the last 40 years or so, the CPU was the dominant thing that let you know how "good" your computer was, and it's just not that way anymore.