ASUS 15.6 GL552VW for editing

Hi there

There's a possibility that I may be in the lucky position to upgrade my laptop soon.  I've always wanted an imac.  Why?  Probably because so many people rave about them and for no other reason.  I have an ipad and an iphone and I love the clarity that the screen gives.  I have never used an imac before so this makes me unsure - I'm just getting to grips with everything photography, I don't want to learn a new way of using a computer too.  I've just read another thread about pc recommendations and I see that you have suggested the ASUS as above.  The ips screen feature - does this mean that the screen can be tilted to any angle and it will give consistent viewing results?  I know on my current laptop that if I have it tilted away from me while editing everything looks dark and saturated and when I view it on my ipad it's invariably less saturated and dull.  I know it's not recommended to edit on a laptop but that's what I use so if this is what this ips feature offers then I'm going to look into getting one of those

Thank you

52 minutes ago, Jackie Matthews said:

The ips screen feature - does this mean that the screen can be tilted to any angle and it will give consistent viewing results?

That's correct.

I have the very ASUS laptop that Brian recommends (well, a slightly older version) and the screen is very good, for a laptop.

However, if you want the very best in screen options, don't go for a laptop or a Mac.  Desktop screens are the way to go (you can plug one into a laptop, of course).

IPS screens give better viewing angles and are more consistent color wise from edge to edge. 

But you still have the angle problem that you are describing. That's why I don't recommend laptops for photo-editing. But people are so damn determined to use a laptop, and I've given up trying to persuade people...it's a waste of time and energy. 

Its better to use an external display, which will remain at a single viewing angle, and be in an environment that has consistent ambient light. Basically, you turn your laptop into a desktop. 

10 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

That's correct.

I have the very ASUS laptop that Brian recommends (well, a slightly older version) and the screen is very good, for a laptop.

However, if you want the very best in screen options, don't go for a laptop or a Mac.  Desktop screens are the way to go (you can plug one into a laptop, of course).

If you use a desktop screen though and have it angled differently isn't that the same as angling a laptop screen or are they made differently?   So if I was to replace my laptop with 'any' laptop, this would be a good choice?

9 hours ago, Brian said:

IPS screens give better viewing angles and are more consistent color wise from edge to edge. 

But you still have the angle problem that you are describing. That's why I don't recommend laptops for photo-editing. But people are so damn determined to use a laptop, and I've given up trying to persuade people...it's a waste of time and energy. 

Its better to use an external display, which will remain at a single viewing angle, and be in an environment that has consistent ambient light. Basically, you turn your laptop into a desktop. 

I do have a quite decent screen I could use attached to my laptop, maybe I'll see if I can connect the two somehow.  Thanks for the reply though.  I don's suppose you know the optimal angle that laptop screens work at do you?  Or where in all the bumpf of info the manufacturer supplies where I might find such an answer?  I guess if I keep the screen at a consistently correct level that would be an option (although seeing as I've been given the opportunity to have a new laptop I may just take it :-)

50 minutes ago, Jackie Matthews said:

If you use a desktop screen though and have it angled differently isn't that the same as angling a laptop screen or are they made differently?   So if I was to replace my laptop with 'any' laptop, this would be a good choice?

Of course your desktop screen must be IPS.  Angles aren't a problem with IPS.

10 hours ago, Brian said:

Please buy this Acratech Viewing Gauge for $14.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650472-REG

-----

Here is how you use it.

Perfect, thank you

11 hours ago, Damien Symonds said:

Of course your desktop screen must be IPS.  Angles aren't a problem with IPS.

OK thank you