Bridge CC - photo downloader freezes?

Hi there, 

I'm  hoping there is a simple fix for this!

whenever I go to download photos from my 70D using the bridge photo downloader I get to the stage of being able to select the device from the dropdown menu, then the box comes up saying "connecting to device...please wait" and that's it. I can leave it sitting for half an hour and still nothing. Opening windows task manager shows the status as "running" but then when I tell it to end the task it comes up with another error asking me to end it now. 

The camera is definitely on, and the CC home window says it is up to date.

this has been going on a few months (I don't upload very often, I'm really just a hobbyist) now with the same errors, I've been resorting to just copying them from the camera folder in windows directly but obviously would like a better workflow again!! 

I'd really appreciate some help please!

IMG_7017.JPG

IMG_7018.JPG

Hi guys sorry I've been absent from the computer for a while, I'll get to your form tonight Damien. 

Brian, no, I haven't tried a card reader, I've just been using the USB cable direct from to camera. 

I'm not sure it's a card issue though as I can access the files through windows folders. 

Honestly, using a card reader simplifies things.

I don't think it's a card issue, I'm thinking a possible update from Adobe could have screwed up the process that talks to the camera. We need to isolate the problem. Is the problem with the import or communication between the computer and camera (via the software.) If we use a card reader, we will find out. If it still screws up importing images with a reader, then it's a software issue and you might have to call Adobe.

• Like 1

Ok, 

I have a PC desktop running windows 7 and Photoshop CC. It is over 2 years old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 16.6GB free out of 111GB. The last time I shut down was earlier today. I have never run a cleanup program.

I'll see if i can get my hands on a card reader tomorrow

2 hours ago, Katie_inthepilbara said:

Its hard drive has 16.6GB free out of 111GB.

Oh gee, I'm sure Brian will tell you this is a HUGE problem.  Gotta clear some serious space.

2 hours ago, Katie_inthepilbara said:

I have never run a cleanup program.

Now is the time.  Run this.

• Like 1

16.6GB Free... Ugh. Danger Will Robinson!! DANGER!!!

It is good computer practice for a HD to never go above 75% full. So in your case, we need to get around 40GB from 16.GB free. So I'd shoot for clearing up around 25GB or so. Why?  Your HD is in danger of corruption, or at the very least in my humble opinion, in the red-zone.

It sounds like you have a small SSD drive (probably around 128GB) and you have dumped everything to this drive, such as programs, downloads / files, photos, whatever. Most folks fall into this trap, they are so used to clicking, nextnext,...next...next...OK...Next, etc. "Sure program that copies my images!!! Please go ahead and dump them in the default location, which is on the C: drive!! A SSD Drive, no matter how fast it is, won't do you any good if it's full and you need to have one that is at least 500GB in order to do the "nextnextnext...ok...next-next-next....finish" method. You must be super anal on what is installed on a small hard drive, like a 128GB drive, which is microscopic my today's standards.!!!

Do you happen to have a D: Drive? Hopefully you do, because we NEED to get critical files and other data copied to another drive or at least a Thumb Drive. You have much bigger problems than photos not transferring correctly.

Is this by any chance a laptop computer? What is the make / model is this computer? Do you have any money in the budget for upgrades?

• Like 1

Thanks Brian ? yes we have multiple internal hard drives so there is room to move stuff (desktop computer not laptop). It should be easy enough to do. I'm going to have to sit down with my husband on the weekend (and without young kids around distracting me) and move or delete some stuff around. He built the computer himself for gaming so I'd imagine he's got high spec processor etc.
I'll get back to you on this thread if that doesn't help. 
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your assistance with this. 
  • Like 1