images for a children's christmas book

EmmaBrett

Hi Damien

I am in the process of designing a book and the client has sent over 16 images illustrated and scanned in. What is the best way to remove the background so they are on a white background not the paper background? The client may also want the characters cut out of the images and placed on the facing page what is the best way to do this? Examples attached. 

3.jpg

4.jpg

16.jpg

thank you so much for the video - i am really grateful. You really are a photoshop guru you know so much and are extremely skilled at photoshop. I will watch the video a few more times before following your instructions and will post the results.

• Like 1

Thanks Damien. This is going to be a great help preparing the images of my daughter's art works. Something that came up in the discussion - about the scans being in adobe rgb being an advantage. Should I be getting my husband to scan his 35mm and medium format negatives in one of the wider gamut color spaces instead of sRGB and because I will just be printing them at a photo lab when should I convert them back to sRGB. 

59 minutes ago, Sue Morris said:

Thanks Damien. This is going to be a great help preparing the images of my daughter's art works. Something that came up in the discussion - about the scans being in adobe rgb being an advantage. Should I be getting my husband to scan his 35mm and medium format negatives in one of the wider gamut color spaces instead of sRGB and because I will just be printing them at a photo lab when should I convert them back to sRGB. 

Is he scanning them himself, or getting them scanned?

4 hours ago, EmmaBrett said:

Am I doing something wrong as when I did the threshold I didn't see as many sprinkles as you got and when I brush over the background near the image I'm not getting any sprinkles? Not sure where I am going wrong?

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 16.43.00.png

Maybe your Levels 2 layer wasn't aggressive enough?  After you'd used the white dropper on that layer, did you move your mouse all over the paper to make sure everything was reading 255/255/255?

OK I have tried this about five times and am still not getting sprinkles. When I click around the second set of numbers say 255 / 255 / 255 and the image shows the threshold on and it's all white. Am I being really stupid?

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 22.43.56.png