dinner shoot 1

rahullele

It's the shutter speed causing issues. 1/60th is what killed this photo.

For this shot, you could have used f/4 and got the shutter up to 1/125th. That said, with a 24-70 @ 70mm, I try not to go below 1/160th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Brian said:

1/60th is what killed this photo

20 % Too much faith in Tamron's Image stabilization and 80 % Overconfidence (That i'll get away with this)  .. thats what killed this entire photoshoot for me. Lesson learned (pretty hard way !!).  

Thinking about it .. i should have just revisited .. what i was doing in terms of overall settings.  .. i was very nervous that day .. got carried away .. looking at just histogram .. thinking exposure is good. 

.. Thank you for input though. I won't repeat this mistake again. 

Edited by rahullele
revisited

Rule of thumb when shooting digital that I try to use, is that shutter speed should be twice of the focal length. Back in the film days, your focal length and shutter speed where closer together  50mm was 1/60th, etc.

So at 70mm, you want 1/160th or better. 200mm, 1/400th or 1/500th of a second, etc. For those reading this and have high resolution cameras, like a Nikon D850, you almost want 4 times the focal length. The more MP you have, the worse camera shake will bite you. But I’m digressing here.

I have found that laying on the shutter and taking three shots consecutively...the second shot will be the one that has the sharpest focus. Especially when you are at 1/60th in low-light conditions, hand-held, such as this photo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1