Realistic fog or mist effect

Is there a somewhat realistic way to add a spooky fog/mist effect to this photo?  We did a series of photos in the woods and we are going for a dark, kinda spooky effect for all of them.  We were on a low budget, so no fog machine.  LOL  The look we were going for is that she is eliminated by headlights and burying something in the woods.  Was thinking if we could realistically add some fog or mist that it would add to the darkness and spookiness of the images.  If you think this can be done, how do I even start?  

110218164.jpg

The only way I know is to add a blank layer then press D to make sure you have black and white swatches, then go to Filter>Render>Clouds.  Then go to Image>Adjustments>Levels (not a Levels layer, actual old-fashioned destructive Levels) and press Auto to make sure it's black and white.  Then change its blend mode to Screen.  Then mask as desired.

I've tried a few times and I can't come up with something I'm happy with.  Just looks hazy and not real to me.  I guess I should've sprung for the fog machine. ;)  In-camera is always better...  

110218164 organic 21.jpg

110218164 organic 22.jpg