Hi Damien! I calibrated the monitor and it’s good to go now! Aside note, sometimes, my monitor shows these little box looking things on the images while working on the photoshop both on my laptop and when it’s connected to my new monitor. Any idea why this is happening?

67C61F76-ADE2-4DD7-8A54-13E078168877.jpeg

F6389E73-3F9E-4832-994B-E8E0F8AB8548.jpeg

i am In coffee shop with my MBP editing. I’ll compare the monitors when I get home. I changed the settings in preference, however, I still see the weird blocks.  I’m not sure if this causes it, but since my iMac died while I was editing, I saved all the doc and images that were in MBP to external hard drive and used Time Machine  and Migrate Assistant to copy all of my documents, apps, user accounts, and settings from my iMac to to MBP. 

Edited by cathm

Thanks Damien! As I was going over the area where you show the settings for Br, I started to wonder if you have something like that for Photoshop. I've noticed that a  lot of settings in my PS is different in my MBP than from what I was used to have in iMac.  Like for example, every time i open the images, I have to go to View - Screen Mode - Full Screen Mode with Menu Bar because the image looks like attatched screen print.

image.png

Edited by cathm

Hi Damien! I am trying to move forward in the course, however, I kept getting this message even after i post the screenshot.

Sorry, there is a problem

You don't have access to this part of the class yet. Make sure you post your screenshot for me on this slide.

I am going to ask a really dumb question here.... So after I calibrate my monitor with x-rite i1Display, is it okay to unplug from my MBP?  I guess I never wondered about this as it was always connected to my iMac before.  But since I can now edit in the coffee shop with my laptop, I started to wonder.....   Also, you asked me whether my new monitor or MBP looks better before.  I am wondering how I would compare this  Do I calibrate and save the profile in a different name and compare the two?  

15 minutes ago, cathm said:

I am going to ask a really dumb question here.... So after I calibrate my monitor with x-rite i1Display, is it okay to unplug from my MBP?

Yes.  Your computer is smart enough to know when you plug it back in again, and it will remember that it is calibrated.  Does that make sense?

16 minutes ago, cathm said:

But since I can now edit in the coffee shop with my laptop,

This is a really really really really really REALLY FUCKING BAD IDEA.  Please read the very last paragraph in this article.

17 minutes ago, cathm said:

Also, you asked me whether my new monitor or MBP looks better before.  I am wondering how I would compare this  Do I calibrate and save the profile in a different name and compare the two?  

You should have chosen two different names for the two different calibrations, yes.  Do you remember what they were?

Sorry, I only recalibrated my monitor, not MBP..... Will do it tomorrow morning.

BTW, I checked the calibration method for both external monitor and laptop, and I didn't see any differences in settings, correct?

Just now, cathm said:

Sorry, I only recalibrated my monitor, not MBP

How is it?  A good print match?

1 minute ago, cathm said:

BTW, I checked the calibration method for both external monitor and laptop, and I didn't see any differences in settings, correct?

There are definitely differences in settings.

Yes, monitor looks good, 

REALLY?!  I am checking the settings again now and according to this laptop setting and this external monitor setting, they are both

Display type - White LED

White point - Native

Luminance - 100 

Contrast Ratio - Native

Version 2

But the only difference i see is that during calibration, you checked Brightness only for laptop setting but 

for the external monitor, you checked both RGB Controls and Brightness.

Could you please verify this? Thanks!