2 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Wow.  And you're dead sure that you have a perfectly accurate print match with that?

With those stupid lamps I would have expected your screen to be brighter than your print at 100.

I wouldn't say dead sure, no.  I'm going to re-calibrate.  I do know that my screen was way cooler with native, I had to go all the way to D50 for the best match.

Ok why "stupid lamps"?  I thought overhead, bright light is bad?

Yes please.

6 minutes ago, tessag said:

Ok why "stupid lamps"?  I thought overhead, bright light is bad?

No, bright light is GREAT!  Your office light should be the same as indirect sunlight, as near as possible.

But of course you turn the light off during the actual calibration process, to be safe.

Ok - I did my laptop screen first, followed your instructions exactly.  luminiance is 100, native

Very cool compared to my prints and perhaps a little bit brighter, too?  This is the chart I got, my native white is 7150 - so

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 10.42.15 PM.png

This is with luminance 90, D50 and my prints are still a little more magenta than my screen - I'm wondering where to start with the daylight temperature setting for the white point, the 7150? pulling my hair out

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.14.51 PM.png

2 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

This suggests that your lighting is too warm?

That was the first go round - I've managed to get it closer but I'm about to pull my hair out.  Prints are still a bit more magenta than my screen.  helpppppp

1 minute ago, Damien Symonds said:

I know this can be a VERY hard question to answer, but if you took your computer outside, would the screen still be too cool compared to the prints?

I don't know.  And I have three sets of prints from three different labs, if it matters.  this has been torturing me for weeks

I wish I could accurately capture it in a photo but I can't seem to.

This is the reason why I got the lamps with 6500k bulb setup going lol - and I still had this same sliiiight magenta problem with that lighting, too.

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

Do you understand the point of my question, though?  Is your interior lighting the same as daylight?

no - it is not the same as daylight.  and of course it is night here lol.

ok - I do think it must be the lighting.  turned the overheads off - brought one of my lamps over closer to my desk and the color appears totally different. ?  Different meaning D50 is way too warm on the screen and the print is cool. 

Right.

So your lamps are too dim, but the right colour.  The overhead lights are nice and bright, but the wrong colour :(

Any chance of changing the bulbs in the overhead lights?

If not, we'll just have to persevere with the lamps.

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

Right.

So your lamps are too dim, but the right colour.  The overhead lights are nice and bright, but the wrong colour :(

Any chance of changing the bulbs in the overhead lights?

If not, we'll just have to persevere with the lamps.

I'm certain I can get some 6500k bulbs (that's what I want right?).  Possibly this weekend.  I think this is a big part of my problem lol.

Let's assume I will persevere (for now) with the lamps, where's the best place to place them. I have one to the right of my desk now and it has made a great deal of difference.

This is one of the reasons I don't like lamps - the positioning is really difficult.  It has to be close enough to cast enough light, BUT it can't be anywhere in your field of vision because it will mess with your perception, AND it can't be anywhere that will reflect glare on your screen, AND it can't be anywhere that it casts shadows on your screen.

I don't know what to tell you specifically.  You'll have to play around with positioning and see what is the least worst position.

3 minutes ago, tessag said:

I'm certain I can get some 6500k bulbs (that's what I want right?).

Not necessarily.

If the existing bulbs aren't too old, hopefully you'll be able to find some printing on them to tell you what temp they are?

And it also isn't helping that all 3 labs are slightly different, too.  Miller's, bottom left, is where I normally print.  Literally pulling my hair out

IMG_3284.jpg