hahahaha - i freaking knew you were going to say that lol. 

ok so top is black river imaging, right is bay photo. How in the hell do you choose???  Do you find a certain lab that people consistently are happy with?  I do a good bit of fine art/cotton rag prints, too

Going with Black river (for now anyway).  their prints were sharper and looked better to me and they offer what I need.

I went and bought 8 of those 5000K flourescent bulbs, cussed for an hour getting them in until I watched a youtube video showing the "trick" to get them in.

Still not sure the light temperature it is right??  But see below and tell me what you think

Now I'm sitting in my studio, lights off of course, close to my door with a full panel window, and it's a beautiful, slightly overcast day.  So I would consider where I am sitting "daylight".

I'm just going to list out what I'm seeing with different calibration settings

In my studio/true daylight

Native/100 - Screen is too cool compared to prints.  Brightness looks good comparatively

D65/90 - Screen is still too cool, but better than above. 

D55/100 - screen is a smidge more magenta/cooler than the prints

D50/90 - best of the 4, screen a smidge too magenta and probably needs to be 100 vs 90 (also did Daylight 5000/100 - almost identical to this)

In my office, no windows, 8, 40 watt fluorescent bulbs, 5000K

Native/100 - too cool.

D65/90 - too cool

D55/100 - same

D50/90 - same

So - after doing this in both rooms - it seems that the lighting in my office is very close to daylight (as long as where I was sitting was considered daylight??)  My studio has all white walls, shouldn't have been any cast coming off the light.

HELP. please.

I NEED to get this mf-er calibrated so I can carry on lol.  Is there some magic setting that I'm missing?  I've made sure that automatic brightness is unchecked in system preferences, that the contrast is normal in accessibility (both per xrite's troubleshooting for mac).  I've gone to every reasonable effort to make sure that my light is good.  Am I being too picky?

5 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Is this still your laptop we're talking about?

Yes.  And I’m working on my external too but had to step out..  2 runs with it so far and both too magenta

3 hours ago, tessag said:

Now I'm sitting in my studio, lights off of course, close to my door with a full panel window, and it's a beautiful, slightly overcast day.  So I would consider where I am sitting "daylight".

So if you turn the overhead light off and on while looking at the prints, you're saying their appearance doesn't change?

5 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

So if you turn the overhead light off and on while looking at the prints, you're saying their appearance doesn't change?

Didn’t do that

9 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Can you?

? not today, no.  And there’s really not much light in that room and it’s well away from the door/windows 

6 hours ago, tessag said:

Now I'm sitting in my studio, lights off of course, close to my door with a full panel window

2 hours ago, tessag said:

And there’s really not much light in that room and it’s well away from the door/windows 

I'm confused.  These two statements seem to contradict each other.

6 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

I've reached the limit of the help I can give you about this.  This is up to you.  Your room light has to be nice and bright.  Period.

Cool. Thanks for it 

Can i please have access to part 2 of the raw class?  This is something I genuinely am seeking help with, I’m not sure why I signed up for mentoring if you aren’t willing to help further?

16 minutes ago, tessag said:

I’m not sure why I signed up for mentoring if you aren’t willing to help further?

I absolutely want to help you further!  But you haven't posted any more photos since you upgraded, so there's been nothing for me to help with yet.

30 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

I've reached the limit of the help I can give you about this.  This is up to you.  Your room light has to be nice and bright.  Period.

I'm not holding anything back from you, I promise.  I just literally can't do any more from this side of the world.  I would have to visit your house, and that's a flight I can't afford.

21 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

BUT ... if you tell me that you're confident that your lighting is as good (close to daylight) as it can be, that's great!  I'm happy to move the conversation onto the actual calibration.

It is as close as it is going to get

Ok.

So let's ignore the laptop for a moment.  Can you tell me about the external screen?  How many presets does it have, and how did they measure?  (If you could take a quick photo of the piece of paper where you jotted down the values that would help.)

I have to go out for about an hour, I'll check in again as soon as I get back.

I should also mention that the uniformity portion to get these numbers was a little different for me than what was shown on the tutorial, it would flash white, med grey, dark grey and then give me 3 numbers (where yours only had 1).  I used the top number with the highest luminance.  The 3 numbers were not wildly different though, within a couple hundred of each other at most.

Yes - I started with 5500, then tried 5000