Replacing background around hair tutorial question

I took some quick headshots against an imperfect background and would like to make it a solid white (or any color, really).  (I had a flash on the background and had hoped to blow it out to pure white, but only the bottom got overexposed.)  I followed the instructions in the tutorial, but it's not coming out perfectly.  (Tutorial: http://www.damiensymonds.net/replace-background-hair)

The photo with the whitish background is the before image, the one with the yellow background is the after.  I didn't choose yellow for any particular reason.  I just added a new layer and filled it with a color.  

As you can see, the hair has a yellowish tinge.  Is there something I'm doing incorrectly?  When I fill the yellow layers with white, it looks basically fine, but any color other than white shows through.  

Is there an easier way to make the background uniform?  

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 5.54.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 5.55.21 PM.png

30 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

So far so good.  Now return to the Levels 1 layer and mask as needed.

Right, but when I paint black over the hair, the original white background shows through the spaces in the hair.  I don't understand how to separate the hair from the color without detailed selection.

Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 6.52.03 PM.png

Edited by Control Z

Thanks, I will work on it.  

I know you'll probably freak, but another quick and easy, though admittedly imperfect, method to get the background to white is to use a combo of adjustment brushes and gradient adjustments in ACR or Lightroom, with the exposure slider cranked all the way up, with the Auto Mask box checked, so it avoids the hair.  

12 minutes ago, Control Z said:

Thanks, I will work on it.  

I know you'll probably freak, but another quick and easy, though admittedly imperfect, method to get the background to white is to use a combo of adjustment brushes and gradient adjustments in ACR or Lightroom, with the exposure slider cranked all the way up, with the Auto Mask box checked, so it avoids the hair.  

adjustment brushes and auto mask are probably 2 of the features Damien hates the most. :o