new iMac

Kellie W

HI Brian

I just bought a new iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5 inch, 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i7, 32 GB DDR4, Radeon Pro 560X 4 Gb, HD 1TB Fusion Drive).

What I am wondering, I have a Color Munki Display calibrator and the pictures from my printer are a bit darker and warmer than what my screen shows. I have followed all Damien's steps for calibration, light in the room etc. but was hoping to be a little more accurate. 

Is there a different calibrator that maybe works better with Apple than the one that I have purchased?

No its at 4 stars, which is the closest number. I can't make the brightness bar match that part of the calibration process. So I pick the lower option as per your instruction. 5 stars is too bright and 3 starts way too dark.

Well I spent a lot of money and bought new ceiling lights that were 5000K, so they aren't very yellow when I look up. I really hate going somewhere and all the light is yellow. But someone might say I am being really picky.

I am using Native 80. Native 100 didn't work. But I think I figured it out. When I lay the picture down on the table, its much closer to the monitor than holding it sideways. Would that make sense and be ok?

For the record. I’m always at a target of “80” with the ColorMunki and my iMac. 100 is just too bright. The other number I can get to around 82 or 80. After calibration, I make sure my brightness is 2 or 3 ticks from the left, depending on which printer I use; regardless what what the calibration software says. “82” is even too bright, I just use the ColorMunki for color accuracy and experience has shown me that 2 ticks from the left is a safe number. Sometimes I push things to 3 ticks, and which works well for web photos.