i1DP-Mac-15

< Go back to the previous step    << Go back to the beginning

Part 7: Lights up

Turn your lights back on, or open the blinds, or whatever.

Part 8: Evaluate

Once you’ve saved the profile, the software gives you some results screens to evaluate. This is the most important one:

26i1dp24.gif

The White Point target is of most interest. I’ve instructed you to calibrate to the “Native” white temperature target, because that’s the easiest for both you and your screen. However, right up until this point, we don’t know what the native temperature of your screen actually is.

6500K is the common standard, and 500K either side of that is perfectly acceptable to all but the biggest nerds. You can see in the above screenshot that the native temperature of my (not very fancy) screen is 6258K, which is an excellent result – better than I expected, to be honest.

You’ll also notice that the final luminance result was 99, even though it read 103 during the process. Small disparities like that are very common, and nothing to be worried about.

Make a note of your resultant white point and luminance, because I’ll discuss these results further, if necessary, in the Troubleshooting section further down the page.

There’s also a 2D graph which can be of interest:

27i1dp25.gif

Generally, the better the screen, the straighter and closer together those lines will be. As I said, my screen isn’t a particularly good one, so the lines are all over the place.

Special note

If you’re having some trouble with your calibration, I encourage you to take screen captures of the two results screens I’ve just shown you above and include these in your a question on the forum.

Comparison >>

I hope this question doesn't sound dumb. 
I use a laptop and have a separate monitor for editing.  I calibrated the monitor.  I had to bring down the brightness quite a bit to get it close (138 was as low as I could get it). 
Is the white point too low? 
Also, my screen is really dark now, can I increase the brightness again?
Thank you. 

image.thumb.png.7832494acb15bb660f33767bc03f9f78.pngimage.thumb.png.5489ac270e245693b5e72b19ddefb98f.png

Hi Damien, I followed these instructions for my MacBook Pro, my achieved white point was 5223K which is a lot lower than preferable. Please advise on what I should do differently? I could only bring my luminance up to 83 cd/m so that it was within range, otherwise it was way higher. 

16648276905981454909525905693354.jpg

14 minutes ago, nabeela said:

Hi Damien, I followed these instructions for my MacBook Pro, my achieved white point was 5223K which is a lot lower than preferable.

Keep reading.

14 minutes ago, nabeela said:

I could only bring my luminance up to 83 cd/m so that it was within range, otherwise it was way higher.

That means you were adjusting brightness using the buttons on your keyboard.  DON'T do that.