windows 10 thumbnails

For background information--I had sky overlays spread across a couple external hard drives. I wanted them all in the same folder, so I just created a folder on my desktop to put them in before moving them off again.  Not the most efficient way to get organized.  I noticed the thumbnails and...well... this is going to be a learning discussion.

Damien is correct. Don't ever save stuff to your desktop, whether your are Windows-based or a Mac. Stuff gets corrupted easily when they are on the desktop. Especially if something happens to your Windows profile. Usually at this point, I get the response, "Well...I've always saved on my Desktop and nothing bad has ever happened!" Yep. That is usually true. Until it does. It's like saying, "I've always driven 85MPH-90MPH on the Highway and have never gotten pulled over!" Until you do. ;)

Now for the Red X Problem. It could be a bunch of things. From your Cloud Storage being full and your computer has lost its connection to those files, to something like your Icon Cache File needs to be reset / purged / deleted.

Have you done anything at this point? Run any commands or whatever?

Also, how full is your HD? What are the specs of your PC? When is the last time you have run Windows Update? Please fill out this form and post the results here in the thread:

Details about your Computer's Health

I have a PC desktop running windows 10 home and Photoshop cc. It is under 6 months old, and has 16GB of RAM. Its hard drive has 699GB free out of 915GB. The last time I shut down was last night. I run a cleanup program about once a month.

The computer came with a certain amount of space on OneDrive.  I've never looked at it because I back up to code42 (crashplan).  I am almost certain the red x's on the screen shot are because they are not backed up to onedrive.

6 hours ago, MamaMonkey said:

I am almost certain the red x's on the screen shot are because they are not backed up to onedrive.

I agree. I'd start looking there first, before messing with anything on your computer.