Aspect ratio

Hi guys

ive looked to se what aspect ratio star wars was shot in as if like to try to recreate that in a photo but of course everyone seems to be arguing about it on the web. Does anyone know the answer. 

Cheers

17 hours ago, Nige said:

Hi guys

ive looked to se what aspect ratio star wars was shot in as if like to try to recreate that in a photo but of course everyone seems to be arguing about it on the web. Does anyone know the answer. 

Cheers

Which movie? I was able to look it up on IMDB for the recent one, but I'm guessing you could look up the old ones too.

For The Force Awakens: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/technical

All of the original Star Wars Movies were filmed using a Panavision PSR 35mm Film Camera. 20th Century Fox primarily used Cinemascope with a 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio in the 1970's and 1980's. There were instances in movie theaters that had the movie shown with a 2.39:1 ratio, but you are splitting hairs at that point.

Now, if you are trying to create the scene based on TV, that's a whole other thing. 4:3 (1.33:1) or 16:9 with a common aspect ratio of 1.85:1 is what you would see at home. To really re-create the scene based on the movie, I'd just use 2.35:1 and call it good.

Oh, I'd use a full frame camera to create this shot as well. No sense in dealing with the Angle of View change since the movies were shot with a 35mm film camera.

• Like 1