Dell configuration

Hi Brian

is the better processor worth $400? And is the better graphics card worth the extra $100 if I’m not also getting the better processor? 

if it makes any difference, I’m getting the base 1920 x 1200 screen for the laptop, I use an external monitor 90% of the time. Also i plan to  (at some point) upgrade the memory to 64gb on my own.

thanks

judith 

36F2D757-B61C-410E-9C30-D14BEA036AE1.jpeg

I want to add: I'm looking to get my money's worth for $2500. Don't want to invest in the latest/greatest at this time. My current xps has given me a solid 5.5 years, but for the last 2 I've been envious of the newer tech (eg usb- charging). I'll be happy with 3-4 years from this one.

Thanks again!

You know how much I loathe laptops, right?

The latest versions of Photoshop are really killing Graphics Cards, you really want at least a NVIDIA GTX 3070 or better yet, a 3080 with at least 8gb of Video Memory. Especially if you plan on using a fancy external display. The choice of Video Card is so important with today's modern Photoshop. It's getting ridiculous. You are going to need to go bigger and more expensive. Buying a computer that's "Good Enough" no longer works in 2022 and going into 2023. Go Big or Go Home. Otherwise you are just wasting money and will most likely get 18-24 months out of that laptop.

As far as the CPU...I'd rather you put savings from getting a slightly slower CPU and put it towards the beefiest graphics card that you can afford or upgrade to. I'm dead serious. Today's modern Photoshop relies on the Video Card more than a CPU for performance. 

So that laptop..."Meh."

• Thanks 1

On board Memory is RAM that is soldered to the motherboard. You can't change it or upgrade it. That Asus laptop seems to have 16GB soldered on the Motherboard and one RAM expansion slot that's occupied by a 16GB RAM Stick, which gives you 32GB. If you wanted to max out the RAM to 48GB, you'd have to remove the existing 16GB stick in the slot and install a 32GB Stick, thereby giving you 48GB of total RAM. (16GB Soldered + 32GB in the slot = 48GB). 

As for 48GB or 64GB...that really depends on the manufacturer. Laptops are meant for portability, but people have a love-affair with laptops and try to make them desktop replacements. If you want to do that, fine...but you are going to have to pony up the $$$'s to make that happen. 48GB is decent, but if you have a high mega-pixel camera, it may not be enough. I know my fancy 27" iMac from 2017 was not happy with my D850 files, which are 45.7MP, until I upgraded to 64GB. As with anything, you can't ever have enough RAM, Hard Drive Space, Video Card Performance (with at least 8GB of Dedicated Video Memory). Bigger-Better-Faster-More. It's never "Enough." Just when you think you've bought "Enough," you realize you should have spent a little bit more.

It never ends.

• Thanks 1

realized i never came back to say thanks..... thanks for the help! i wound up getting an alienware 17" laptop from the "deals" section that hit all your recommended specs at a great price--and i know 17" and laptop don't belong in the sentence, but it's fine for my needs. Thanks again!

edit: where's your donate button? I can only find Damien's

Edited by Jbasya
  • Like 1