Upgrade GPU?

Barry685

Hi,
My current pc specs are Intel I7-6700k + 32gb ram, Gtx 950, and Asus Z170 pro gaming/Aura MB. Monitor resolution is 1920 x1200. I dont play games and don't do video editing. I edit using Photoshop, Capture one and Corel Painter. Is it worth upgrading the GPU? I am considering a gtx 1660 or Rtx 2060 (can spend up to $300.00).
Thanks

4 hours ago, Barry685 said:

Is it worth upgrading the GPU?

If you are using the current version of PS CC, then it might be worth upgrading, since Photoshop uses the GPU for a performance boost. Especially for fancy things like Liquidfy and Content Aware, and some of the Lens Correction things, I believe. Now if Photoshop CC is really lagging and it's complaining about the Video Card and/or Video Drivers, it's something to pursue.

Now should you?

My opinion is mixed. When you upgrade your Video Card, there is a good chance that you will also need to upgrade the power supply. (Especially if you are only around 300 Watts or so for your power supply.) Plus, your Motherboard is kinda dated and your budget of $300 I'm concerned about; I just have a sneaky suspicion you are gonna blow right through that $300. ;)

The truth is, things are just more expensive across the board. I believe the NVIDIA 4000 series have finally hit the shelves, so a Card like a NVIDIA GTX 3070 8GB (My absolute favorite card, BTW,) prices should come down in the next few months. If you go the new PC Route, your budget needs to be closer to $3000. Of course, you can find deals now and should be able to get something around $2600 or so, but plan on a $3000 Budget in 2022/2023 for a new computer to be on the safe side.

Bottom Line: I'd keep saving at this point.

Hi Bryan,

im retired and don't think im going to start at this point with a new PC build. I did build this one and  the power supply is a seasonic and is at least 500w . The 2 gpu.s that i that I referenced above are In the 200-250 range. Im currently running ps 2020. I do find some brush lag at times, especially with Corel Painter

. BTW do you know anything about Plex servers?

Plex Servers, I’m in the investigating phase of building my own. I thought about going with a Synology NAS, but haven’t pulled the trigger. I will more than likely build my own NAS at some point. Why? Spinning HDs in a cheap plastic enclosure are LOUD. So I will more than likely use a Micro Case and use FreeNAS or something. 

Post a new thread with your NAS question. 

Honestly? I’d stay where you are PS CC-wise, because if you do upgrade, you are definitely buying a new video card. 

speaksing of which, I’d go with a GTX 2060. Hopefully you can get one with 8GB of dedicated Video RAM, maybe 6GB. Basically, buy the biggest and the best you can afford. 

Thanks Bryan

Regarding Plex I am running one on a lenovo workstation using a Xeon cpu (not sure which one) It runs well but it doesnt have a dedicated gpu. So I was wondering if the  Gtx 950 would help with transcoding.

11 hours ago, Barry685 said:

Xeon cpu (not sure which one)

That could be a problem. Not all Xeon CPUs are that great at Transcoding. Some are though. That said, yes the NVIDIA GTX 950 does support NVENC and NVDEC, so that will definitely help, just as long as your Plex Server Software is setup properly.

Some info: https://help.livestream.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002071627-How-Do-I-Know-if-My-GPU-Supports-NVENC-and-NVDEC-