Bridge and PS no longer connecting

Kellie W

HI Brian, I have a Mac using OS 12.5. I have Bridge 13.0.2.636 and PS 24.2.0

Before (earlier this morning...) for years, I would open a photo in Bridge, click on the raw wheel, edit in raw and then choose open and the photos would go to PS.

Now, the photos don't travel and open from Raw to PS.  I have changed nothing. I contacted PS and they looked around on my computer and told me it should work. :(

I closed everything, shut down, let the Mac sit and then rebooted. This didn't fix anything.

This is really annoying and I was wondering if anyone suddenly was having this problem. I doesn't seem to matter, if I open 1 photo or multiple. If the photos are on my hard drive or external drive. 

Sadly it is probably something in an auto update???

Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 1.56.43 PM.png

2 hours ago, Kellie W said:

for years, I would open a photo in Bridge, click on the raw wheel, edit in raw

How about if you double-click the raw file in the Content panel, or press Cmd O?  Does that make any difference to the overall problem?

Welp, my guess is that there might be some Operating System Corruption, OR you need to update your macOS Monterey since 12.5 is out of date. Currently, Version 12.6.3 is what you should be at. Please use Safari to open this link, it will take you to the current version:

MacOS Monterey 12.6.3

Sometimes, you need to update your OS to fix the weird issues in Photoshop, especially if you are running the current versions. While I'm all for being conservative for not updating right away, going the other extreme, "I'm not ever updating because it messes up my computer..." also causes problems. Adobe has pushed out a few updates to PS and Bridge lately, I think you are right that auto-update initially caused issues. Try updating your OS and see what happens.

Also, how full is your Macintosh HD? If it's more than 80% full, especially if it's 95% or more, weird things can happen with a Mac. A completely full HD is a unhappy HD and could crash on you. How much crap do you have on your desktop? This also could be a corrupted profile issue.

Now thinking about things, I need to know:

1. How full are ALL your Hard Drives, both Internal and External.
  2. How much crap do you have on your desktop.
  3. Do you run a Clean Up Program, such as CleanMyMac X? If so, when was it last updated and when did you run it? (I usually use CMMX once a week.)
  4. When is the last time you fixed permissions?

Get back to me with the answers before you update anything.

In addition, you are really pushing your luck with that 21.5" iMac and the current versions of PS. You might have to go back to an older version to get things working again and stay there. Personally, I'd recommend you start saving for a new computer.

Brian,

my hard drive usage is low, I keep all my photos on an external, all my working files (excel, word) are on my MacBook. The iMac is just an editing computer, lots and lots of space on the HD. The external is about 50% full. It also didn't matter if I copied the directory from the external onto the iMac the problem into documents the problem still existed. Oddly, if I put 1 photo on the desktop, it worked right.

Desktop is clean (I read your stuff). I clean it regularly. I have a file in documents called "Desktop" where I put stuff that most folks would normally put things on the desktop.

I used clean my mac for awhile, then once it totally wrecked an external hard drive and made it usable. so I stopped using it. Was grateful it wasn't my HD.

Ok you have me at: fixed my permissions. What is that?

Sigh, don't want to replace the iMac, yet. will turn off updates right after I update the OS. this would be a hard sell to the hubby. 

On 3/15/2023 at 4:07 PM, Damien Symonds said:

How about if you double-click the raw file in the Content panel, or press Cmd O?  Does that make any difference to the overall problem?

No difference. Putting 1 photo on the desktop, solved the problem for that 1 photo.

14 hours ago, Kellie W said:

I have a file in documents called "Desktop" where I put stuff that most folks would normally put things on the desktop.

You could create a Alias for the "Desktop" Folder and put that on the Desktop. Right-Click on the "Desktop" Folder and choose "Make Alias."  Then you move the Alias to the Desktop. It will act like a folder, if you move the folder in your Documents folder somewhere it will automatically update the Alias to the folder's new location, it's pretty cool. Aliases are meant to be on the Desktop and the macOS recognizes them properly, so they don't slow down your Mac's Performance. Might save you a click by going into Documents first and navigating your way down to the "Desktop" Folder, AND the Alias will appear in the main list when you go to save stuff in Photoshop, instead of hunting for the folder. Give it a try.

I used clean my mac for awhile, then once it totally wrecked an external hard drive and made it usable. so I stopped using it. Was grateful it wasn't my HD.

Two things with those type of programs:

1. THEY NEED TO BE CONSTANTLY UPDATED. Especially if you upgrade your Operating System. With these programs, you just don't buy it once and use it for years; when they get really out of date, bad things can happen. Most of the time, when I hear of problems, it's usually someone that was using CleanMyMac 2 on a modern OS. In fact, MacPaw has changed things, one...so that they make more money...and two, to help avoid stuff like this from happening, and have converted over to a annual subscription model. CleanMyMac X is a annual=fee type of program now, which allows you to get the latest version.
  2. CleanMyMac is really only meant for your internal Macintosh HD, not externals. It's up to you to keep things tidy on your externals. In fact, I use this program sparingly, mostly at the defaults.

Sigh, don't want to replace the iMac, yet. will turn off updates right after I update the OS. this would be a hard sell to the hubby. 

You bought a 21.5" Mac. Apple has crippled them on-purpose. They have slower Motherboards, slower Video Cards, Slower Hard Drives, basically the whole thing is not as fast as it could be. With Apple, you are penalized for going cheap. They want you to "Go Big or Go Home." Even if you choose a cheaper Mac to buy, THE UPGRADES ARE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN IF YOU WENT FOR A MORE EXPENSIVE MODEL!! Yep, I'm dead serious. Say you purchased a Mac for $1999 vs one they were selling for $2299 and went to upgrade the Hard Drive. The HD selection, FOR THE EXACT SAME HARD DRIVE, IS $100 MORE THAN IF YOU WENT WITH THE HIGHER PRICED MAC. For the same exact thing. When you compare the two, after the upgrades, the more expensive Mac is usually only $100-$200 more. But people think they are "saving" money by going cheaper, but in reality they aren't.

If you had a 27" iMac, it would be a different story. Thank goodness you have 32GB of RAM, that's the only saving grace and why you are able to use it, but you days are numbered with the modern versions of Photoshop. Don't expect to use the latest versions of PS in the next couple of years. Sooner or later you are going to be stuck with the version that you are on.

START SAVING.

I'd update your macOS to the latest version of your current release and see if that helps. With it working fine if you putting files on the desktop,

Putting 1 photo on the desktop, solved the problem for that 1 photo.

I'm wondering if you could create a new folder inside your Macintosh HD, under your User Profile. We can call it "Test 123." (Open the Finder >> Macintosh HD >> Users >> Profile Name >> From there you should see something like this:

ScreenShot2023-03-17at9_21_35AM.thumb.png.81a997f0548c113ce21e2218b49fb7dc.png

As you can see in my example, I have a "Junk Drawer" Folder. You could create a "Test 123" Folder instead, then make an alias and drop the Alias to the Mac Desktop. Copy a few files, like 5-10 into the folder and then try opening them. I'm wondering if the location that you store things is the culprit, more like some sort of Permissions issue that got screwed up. It could be something stupid like the Photoshop doesn't have full read/write access to your folders that you store things. Especially if it's this Desktop Folder that gets dumped into. Or something is wrong with the EHD that you store stuff. We need to find the source of the problem and target that. I think we are chasing symptoms. (This file isn't doing what it's supposed to. We need to figure out why.)

Ok you have me at: fixed my permissions. What is that?

I found this link, it covers everything I would have said. I'm sure your eyes will glaze over. :DFixing Permissions should be done about once a month or so; it never really "Fixes" things, well...stuff like you are having issues with. It does fix stuff in the background and is one of those maintenance items that Mac users have done since 1984.

Well lots to absorb. Oddly enough, updating the OS, made Command O work. Will work on all this stuff over time. Auto updates also turned off.  Your comments in the snippet are very discouraging, although I know Windows does it too. I just love the connectivity of my iPhone, iPad,  and my computer; with my Apple TV box too. I am afraid I am stuck in the Apple universe. Thanks for helping with all the Mac stuff Brian, I know how much Damien doesn't prefer Apple. 

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 3.07.20 PM.png

Thanks again Damien for all your help too.

Oh, I have a 27” iMac and am typing this on my iPhone. So I get it. :D  

it used to not be this way, up until 2012, the 21.5” iMacs were “fine,” and the only main difference between was the size of screen, then things changed. The 21.5” models became “General Computing” models that were crippled and the thinking of “Go Big or Go Home” took affect. 

Combine that with the Adobe Subscription Model and to make it a “Value,” they have to keep adding things, which causes more horsepower from the Hardware. Gone are the days of buying Photoshop CS5 or CS6 and running it for 15-20 years. Now, it seems we get a whole new version every 6-8 months which forces your hand in buying new hardware to keep up. I just bought my fancy 2017 iMac a few years ago. I upgraded everything and maxed out the RAM to 64GB. I plan on replacing it in the next few years. Probably around 2025. The newest versions of PS CC work “Okay” now, but with each major revision, I’m noticing a bit more lag. 

So you, me and other Mac users have a choice, we stop updating PS CC and live with it, or we are buying a new computer in the next few years. 

It’s only money, right?

Brian, ok so if I was going to buy a new mac - what features are key? I am reading the specs and my brain is going to mush. What is the difference between retina display and liquid retina display as only one example. is unified memory what we used to call RAM? a lot don't have USB ports any more which narrows down the choice if you want to still use a USB port. (unless there is a USB to thunderport converter). also the SDXC card slot seems important - again unless there is a SDXC card slot to thunderport attachment. oh gosh, this is getting so complicated as my MacBook (mid-2015) maybe on its last legs too (fan will just start to run for no reason), battery cycle count 430, so it seems like maybe it has lots of time in the battery left??? 

First read this:

Buying a Mac in 2023

12 hours ago, Kellie W said:

unified memory what we used to call RAM? a lot don't have USB ports any more which narrows down the choice if you want to still use a USB port.

The current M1 and M2 Macs are different than the Intel-Based Macs. Gone are the days where you get computer A over Computer B because "A" has this CPU and comes with more RAM and a larger Hard Drive. That's thinking from last century. With today's Macs, Apple wants you to "Go Big or Go Home."

With the current M1 and M2 chips, EVERYTHING IS BUILT INTO ONE CHIP!!! THAT'S THE "UNIFIED" YOU KEEP READING ABOUT. Think of current Macs like glorified iPads; there is no upgrading after the fact!! The CPU, RAM, Video GPU, Hard Drive Controller are all built into one chip. Want to upgrade your RAM in 3-4 years? You are buying a new computer to make that happen. Bigger HD? You will have to purchase a Thunderbolt 3 or TB 4 Larger External Drive. Can't upgrade the internal one down the line, as it's built into the M1 or M2 "Unified" Chip. (Well, truth-be-told, it's the HD Controller Chip that's built into the M1/M2 Chip. The actual Storage Chips are separate, but guess what? You can't install a larger memory chip...the controller chip won't recognize the "bigger" chips you just installed. Apple does this intentionally. Fun? Eh?)  Doesn't matter if it's a Mac Laptop or Mac Desktop. So it's VERY important to budget for the "upgrades" that you would have done in say, 4-5 years...you NEED to purchase them at the time of purchase. It's only money, right? :D

also the SDXC card slot seems important - again unless there is a SDXC card slot to thunderport attachment.

I will say this, the SD Slot on the new Macs just SUCK! Seriously, they are slower than ones that are in Macs from 2013. If you are looking for fast data transfers, I highly recommend Thunderbolt Based External Card Readers, don't worry about the built in ones, you aren't going to be happy. I know, you'd think spending $4600 on a stupid Mac Laptop would have a decent SD Slot. It doesn't work that way in 2023. That built in slot is meant for convenience, not speed.

MacBook (mid-2015) maybe on its last legs too (fan will just start to run for no reason), battery cycle count 430, so it seems like maybe it has lots of time in the battery left??? 

Each time you plug in a device that has a Lithium-Ion Battery, that is "One Charge Cycle." Plug in your iPhone for 20 Minutes, then pull it off the charger and call someone, and then plug it in 30 minutes later, that is 2 Charge Cycles within that hour. Lithium-Ion Batteries have a finite life, and I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in what the OS says, if you aren't getting decent battery-life out of your laptop, the batteries are wearing out. Even if you leave the damn thing plugged in all the time! If you are the type of person that does that, you aren't helping things. In fact, you are killing your battery prematurely! That said, 2015 IS 8 YEARS AGO, approximately. Give or take a few months. Eight Years!!! That's a very good run for any piece of computer equipment, and when I purchase my computers, I have a 7-8 year lifespan in mind, and that's exactly where you are. So yes, it's time to be looking at a new computer of some kind.

a lot don't have USB ports any more which narrows down the choice if you want to still use a USB port.

That's where Thunderbolt-based Hubs that have extra USB Ports come into play. Also, by purchasing the more expensive models, gives you more of a guarantee that you will have more Thunderbolt Ports. Keep in mind with Mac Laptops, one side will have faster Thunderbolt Ports vs the other. Like the Left Side will have "better" ports in terms of speed / power than the Right Side. Surprise!! 

What is the difference between retina display and liquid retina display as only one example.

The Liquid Displays are brighter and have Mini-LED Backlighting as opposed to OLED Panels. Both are IPS Based. Basically, the Liquid Retina is Apple Marketing doing its usual job convincing people that they NEED something. For work in Photoshop, working on still photographs...either screen is fine. Honestly, having a brighter screen isn't always a good thing. Especially when it comes to prints. I can't tell you how many questions and posts over the years that all say the same thing: My Prints are too dark. Why? The answer always is, "Your Screen is too bright!" Then followed by the response, "But if i lower the brightness, I can't see my screen!!" Then we usually ask, "Are you calibrated?" with the usual answer of, "I thought you didn't have to Calibrate Macs, they are supposed to be "good" or "better." Nope, all screens need to be calibrated, even Mac Displays. 

Give these a read, plenty of articles about Retina vs Liquid Retina:

https://www.makeuseof.com/liquid-retina-xdr-display-explained/

https://en.tab-tv.com/apple-retina-vs-liquid-retina-vs-super-retina-the-differences/

In a nutshell, the higher-end MacBook Pros that cost more than $4000 after you configure things, will have the higher-end "Liquid Retina" Display. I wouldn't stress too much about the displays, either are fine, really.

Thank you so very much. Yes I got my money out of this mid-2015 laptop computer... but it gets better...

I bought my laptop originally in 2013. Got Apple Care. All the components started to go about 2 1/2 years in.... First the monitor was replaced, then the track pad (and all the internal attachments), then the hard drive started to fail. I was back and forth to the Apple store a bunch of times (2 hours each way) and once to a local "official Apple repair person" who was very sketchy. I had multiple notes, multiple case numbers etc. As the hard drive was failing...

I posted on an Apple FB page my frustation. Someone told me to email Tim Cook (they gave me the email). They said the email would be read by someone on his team.  So I emailed Tim Cook, gave all the details (including my serial number) including my very weird experience with the official Apple repair place (who is no longer an official Apple agent now). I told Mr Cook it would have been cheaper for them to have given me a new computer than to have made all the repairs.

Then I waited a week and went back to the Apple Store to deal with my hard drive. Computer was 2.75 years old at that point. I said to the Genuis at the Apple Bar, given everything that was wrong with my computer it would have been cheaper for you to just have replaced my computer. The Genuis said "we never do that". He took my computer to the back and was gone a long time. When the Genuis came back he said he had worked there for many years and has never seen this... but you are getting a new computer for free under Apple Care... then he told me to buy Apple Care on the new computer. Which I was shocked that I could do that. 

Anyways, long story, short.... The replacement laptop is my mid-2015 laptop. So I have most certainly got my money out of it having only paid in 2013 - ten years ago. 

Thank you for all the good information. It helps a lot. I am so glad you are on Damien's team. Off to the Apple store web page I go....

Yeah, to get the “Best” configuration, you need to customize it on Apple’s website and then ship it to the Apple Store. 

Let me know what you get and how well I configured things. :) 

• Thanks 1

Hardware specs look good for both. Enjoy your purchase. 

As to why sending it to an Apple Store?

Porch Pirates.

If you live in an area that suffers from that sort of thing, having a $4700 laptop sitting outside your door is a very easy target. 

But if you want it shipped to your house, that’s fine too. You are the judge when it comes to that. 

• Thanks 1