Calibrating new imac

After getting a rap on the knuckles by DS I had to tackle calibrating my new 27"retina imac. I had been putting my head in the sand and telling myself it was close enough to my prints. After running my colormunki 10 times, restarting the computer a gazillion times, crashing software, freezing screen etc etc. I ended up the best result I could get was OK brightness wise but not strong enough in the reds. Just mucking around at this stage I went through all the other profiles I had listed on my computer ( a lot of which will have carried over from previous computer). I stumbled on one which was almost perfect. My question is therefore -- Does it matter how I get the screen to match the prints as long as it does?

But this

mistyprochaska

•  
  • 18 posts
  • Mac desktop
  • Lightroom with Photoshop
  • X-Rite

I wanted to come back and update as I was able to resolve this. I don't understand why there isn't more information out there or more people struggling with this, I think because a lot of people don't print things or calibrate.

I tried everything, and read everything, and couldn't get the prints to match, so finally called X-Rite. So first he had me install a display profile that was in my library but not available as an option, and I switched to that. It is called Display Profile Linear. Then I recalibrated with instructions from tech support- the retina display is not a White LED, it is a RG Phosphor, so I switched to that. He had me use D65, which I knew would be too cool, so I went back and redid it at D50. And perfect. You may not be able to see that in the attached photo, but the differences are due to ambient light and screen illumination. I feel good about the color match. This is a test print from H&H compared to the file they publish for use in screen calibration. I hope this helps someone. 

IMG_2641.JPG

Hi again- A follow up to the above-- an update to the colormunki software took away the options for different screen types and it just says imac and the dropdown has no choices (see screenshot).

I just recalibrated and like every time I am still having a colour problem with the prints being slightly redder than the screen. My question is this ( please don't slap me!)  If I can add a hue/saturation layer ( red +8, yellow +12 and magenta +9) that makes my screen image look the same as my prints is it viable to remove that much saturation on all my images prior to printing? Is it at least something worth investigating ( including it as an action to my output process) and comparing some prints?

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.58.17 AM.jpg

7 minutes ago, Damien Symonds said:

Usually it has no choices there if you are running the software without having the Munki plugged in to the USB port.

Always succeed in making a fool of myself -- I had it plugged in before and after I checked that but stupidly not during. Face palm .  Do you have a any opinion on the second part of the post?

57 minutes ago, Sue Morris said:

I just recalibrated and like every time I am still having a colour problem with the prints being slightly redder than the screen. My question is this ( please don't slap me!)  If I can add a hue/saturation layer ( red +8, yellow +12 and magenta +9) that makes my screen image look the same as my prints is it viable to remove that much saturation on all my images prior to printing? Is it at least something worth investigating ( including it as an action to my output process) and comparing some prints?

It's not ideal, but yes, it's something you could experiment with.

First prints back today after trying this -- colour difference is almost unnoticeable now in many of the images but think I still need to tweak the numbers a little. All in all a big improvement.

• Like 1