SpyderX Elite calibration tutorial – Macs & laptops

Elite.jpg

This tutorial discusses using the SpyderX Elite to calibrate screens which have no adjustability other than their brightness. This includes all Mac screens, and all laptops. It might also include cheap desktop screens with no buttons or menus to control their colour; and the new breed of all-in-one PCs that try to look like Macs.

Before you begin, please make sure you’ve read this article.

Read it? Great, let's go >>

I just purchased the Spider Elite using your link, and today it is showing up $100 less than last week! So I ordered it and don't have it yet. But I was reading the instructions, and I have a question: I have 2 monitors: a Mac (iMac 27") and a Asus ProArt monitor with controls, which is connected to my iMac as a second monitor. Should I use different instructions to calibrate each one? Is that even possible?

Edited by Dimundus
26 minutes ago, Dimundus said:

I just purchased the Spider Elite using your link, and today it is showing up $100 less than last week!

Hooray!  That's awesome!

27 minutes ago, Dimundus said:

I have 2 monitors: a Mac (iMac 27") and a Asus ProArt monitor with controls, which is connected to my iMac as a second monitor. Should I use different instructions to calibrate each one? Is that even possible?

It is possible, and yes, that's how you need to do it.

After you've calibrated both screens, you can choose the one that gives you the very best print match, and that will be the one you do your editing on.

• Like 1

Hi Damien 

Is there any way to check that your calibration is working? Normally when I turn on my laptop there is a noticeable colour shift after a couple of seconds. I didn't notice that happening today and the colour of the whites look off to me, is there any way to make sure that it's definitely showing the calibrated view, without going through the whole process, as I only did it a few days ago! 

thanks

I'm using a macbook pro, but have a second monitor, a Lenovo L24-i20, attached to it which I need to calibrate (the macbook monitor is already calibrated). Which set of instructions do I follow? Laptop or desktop? The Lenovo only has controls for brightness and contrast.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:08 PM, LydsinIA said:

Ok, finally figured it out. I had to change "novo vision" to "text" mode. OK. 

OK, so I calibrated the monitor to the same settings as my Macbook pro -- 65k. But I kept getting an error at the end telling me that the brightness doesn't match the calibration, and it increased it. This happened twice, until it had set the brightness at 132. (Not sure what that means, but it's about as bright as my macbook). 

But they look WAY different color-wise, the two monitors. The Lenovo is way less yellow which is causing me to overedit toward yellow, and my people look jaundiced. Also, the Lenovo profile shows that it can show much fewer colors than my macbook can. 

How do I make them match?

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 1.58.46 PM.png

OK, so what's my next step? 

(unrelated: the software update switched my photoshop document profiles to adobe rgb. I can't find the instructions for how to switch it to sRGB... can you point me to them? -- ETA: nevermind, I found it! Oddly, all the settings were correct. Somehow just one photoshop file got into Adobe rgb... weird.)

Edited by LydsinIA

Ok, I'm definitely doing something wrong.  My prints are cooler and darker than my screen.  I switched to the other side of my desk and got the reading of "moderately low" for my room light which was preferred according to the Spyder.  

I attached a picture of my editing area for reference. 

I did customize my screen color to be 6500, I read that somewhere and can't find where now because I have been through so many files and facebook posts.  Switching back to "native" seems better 

room.jpg

I have.  I am working with a basement with the small windows.  I block them off during the day to avoid weird ambient and inconsistent light.  I don't have much option for more lights since it is an unfinished basement with only a few ceiling lights installed.  I have the 3 head garage LED  lights installed to make it as bright as possible down here. 

I have a lamp I could work with in that corner.