< Go back to the previous step    << Go back to the beginning

Select Display

Hopefully the Spyder has detected you have multiple screens.  It should show them in this list:

nec06.png

The very first time you do this, it might not know the names of your screens at this stage.  They'll just be marked "Generic 1" and "Generic 2" as you see in my screenshot.  There is an option to name them, but I never bother, because you'll see in a few steps' time it will magically know their names after all.

So choose the one you intend to calibrate.

Spoiler

The "Generic" numbers will align to the numbers that your operating system already recognises.

If you have a laptop with an external screen plugged in, the laptop screen will definitely be "1" and the desktop screen will definitely be "2".  If you have a desktop computer with two screens attached, it might not be as obvious.  But you can check in your Displays control panel.

For example, here's what my Windows 10 control panel tells me:

dual.png

It will tell you that it is moving the Spyder window to the screen you've chosen.

Continue >>

Hi Damien

I've just got a new monitor, a Dell U2722DE. The display looks significantly different to my calibrated laptop (though I am overdue recalibration on that). It's brighter, warmer AND my laptop now looks crazy magenta by comparison (a hat-trick yay). So I'm calibrating the new screen following these instructions. However, at this point, it doesn't recognize that I have two screens on and plugged in. Does that matter, since I'm mainly after calibration this new screen vs my prints? I intend to make sure everything matches afterwards obviously..! 

thanks

8 hours ago, Yvonn.ie said:

Hi Damien

I've just got a new monitor, a Dell U2722DE. The display looks significantly different to my calibrated laptop (though I am overdue recalibration on that). It's brighter, warmer AND my laptop now looks crazy magenta by comparison (a hat-trick yay). So I'm calibrating the new screen following these instructions. However, at this point, it doesn't recognize that I have two screens on and plugged in. Does that matter, since I'm mainly after calibration this new screen vs my prints? I intend to make sure everything matches afterwards obviously..!

Can you check that you've got it set up correctly?  https://www.damiensymonds.net/working-with-dual-screens-windows-10/

Just now, Damien Symonds said:

How annoying!  Can you give me more info?  What are the makes and models of the two screens?

I'm trying to calibrate a Dell UltraSharp U2422H. I also have an HP 2011xi connected to the computer. It keeps bouncing the software to the HP even when I start it on the Dell.