Jump to next slide >>

Next, opening and saving

56b2aeb7b5886_rawworkflow2_opt.thumb.jpe

From ACR, I open the image into Photoshop. There, I save it as a PSD file.

• PSD is the almighty file format. It can support 16-bit data, extra layers, extra channels, vectors, different colour modes, etc, etc. (Please note that I do not recommend 16-bit in most cases. 8-bit is ample.)
  • PSDs are uncompressed. This means there’s no risk of file damage, but it also means BIG files. Luckily, hard drives are big and cheap nowadays.
  • Tiff files are (more or less) the same as PSD files. But I use PSD because it’s the default setting, therefore the easiest to use. Lazy? Yes. Sensible? Also yes. There is really no need to use Tiff files in most workflows.

Editing >>

• Like 7

Lately I heard a professional photographer say that TIFF files contain more information, PSD compressed and deletes certain information. You say there's no/hardly any difference.

What about it? Thanks!

• Like 1

Oh? 
This is what I found on a forum: PSD files are usually smaller than TIFF files because the PSD format has compression built into it to make the files smaller. This is lossless compression, and doesn't affect the contents of the file - you can open it, save it close it numerous times without affecting the quality of the image it contains.

TIFF files are not as compressed (if you choose LZW compression) or aren't compressed at all if you don't compress them, and so are much larger, but contain the same information about the image they contain.

If the files are only going to be used by you, save them as PSD files, but if you're going to exchange them with other family members, the TIFF format may be better as it can probably be opened by more different software than can the PSD files.

37 minutes ago, Marielene said:

If the files are only going to be used by you, save them as PSD files, but if you're going to exchange them with other family members, the TIFF format may be better as it can probably be opened by more different software than can the PSD files.

This is true, but it's pretty much irrelevant, because you can't trust that other software would be able to use the layers.

• Like 1

Finally, the archiving

56b2afa59bb5a_rawworkflow4_opt.thumb.jpe

Once I’ve completed a job, I archive the original Raw file (plus the accompanying XMP file), and the edited PSD master file.

doesn't this go against what you just commented? You save both the original raw file and the edited PSD master file... so you can go back? Sorry, I'm confused.

Right, I guess I meant starting over was still a possibility once you save in PSD. 

I mean, it would really suck to do a ton of editing in PS on your PSD file and then notice something you forgot in ACR (based on the article you just posted) .. I better understand now. You can go back to ACR but once you do you basically lose everything you did in PS.

51 minutes ago, Marielene said:

Even when you check all you adjustment layers one by one (to avoid anarchy :-) ? (de-activate all and re-activate one by one)

This is so time-consuming, and so fraught with problems.  And even if it can work, it would only work for adjustment layers, not pixel ones :(  Cloning, for example, would need to be redone.