Jump to next slide >>

Finally, the archiving

56b2afa59bb5a_rawworkflow4_opt.thumb.jpe

Once I’ve completed a job, I archive the original Raw file (plus the accompanying XMP file), and the edited PSD master file.

I archive my jobs onto two DVDs - one I keep in my office, and the other I keep off site ... just in case the worst happens (theft or fire).  More suggestions here.

So, there it is - my entire workflow in a straight line, from Raw to archive.

Hold on ... what about printing? >>

• Like 5

I also archive to DVD, but wonder about changing to a more current technology and how will I be able to access my files on DVD in years to come. I'd like to know how you feel about that. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Anniez said:

I also archive to DVD, but wonder about changing to a more current technology and how will I be able to access my files on DVD in years to come. I'd like to know how you feel about that. 

Gosh, it's so hard to know, isn't it?  I'm trying to be good about auditing my disks every few years to make sure they're ok.

• Like 3

Is there a reason to save BOTH the PSD & RAW file?

Of course you want to save the PSD (your final product) and want to be able to go back and change in PS if needed...

And then I see saving the RAW photo as well... what if you want to start over from square one... but I don't know, just seems like there should be a way to choose to just save one or the other!

I have a question that just came to mind, I do in person selections straight after the session, on my laptop. I put the card in, open in bridge and do all star rating then open straight up in camera raw and save as JPEGs (unedited). Just so they can choose their favourites. After they’ve chosen there favourites, I go back to my desktop (mac) and transfer the chosen Raws without the XMP file, once I open the raws in ACR and do my adjustments ready for edits it makes an XMP file which I never delete. Is this ok? Or should I be taking the raw & XMP file from the card, I know it sounds silly, but in my in person selections I don’t save the images from the card to comp as my laptop doesn’t have room, I just open in bridge and camera raw then transfer into JPEGs just for selections I soon delete those JPEGs. 

So after photoshop I was doing "save as" and saving it as a Jpeg in my folder that said "Edited", is this incorrect? It should be saved as a PSD? If i was to send off the photos to a customer are those files still the same as a jpeg in terms of opening them etc?

Just now, shalea said:

So after photoshop I was doing "save as" and saving it as a Jpeg in my folder that said "Edited", is this incorrect?

Completely incorrect, yes.  The master files must be PSD format.  (Or TIFF if you prefer, but there's no reason to go to that effort.)

1 minute ago, shalea said:

If i was to send off the photos to a customer are those files still the same as a jpeg in terms of opening them etc?

Customers must receive jpeg files.

So essentially I am saving two files? One as a PSD (master file) and one for my clients as a jpeg? Why can't I save the files just as Jpeg's? Why do I need a master file? I keep the CR2 files as well as jpeg

When I upload my photos to pixieset for my clients gallery of photos, they must be in jpeg right?