Apologies in advance!

nunubaby

So sorry to bring up again what was a slightly painful exchange to read already. 

I am doing Santa minis this year Damien and am keen to recreate a similar look as is discussed here. I have Santa coming for a text shoot next week so I'll have some images to play with then and have already downloaded and explored the NIK collection - which looks awesome!

My question, and feel free to tell me to bog off as it's not strictly processing related, is this: Is there anything I need to consider when shooting this (does it need to be lit a particular way) to get this kind of look?

I looked to comment on that thread but can't. Also wanted to message you to find out how I can buy you a beer for the last thread you helped me with. The client LOVED her image! 

Cheers!

10 minutes ago, nunubaby said:

I am doing Santa minis this year Damien and am keen to recreate a similar look as is discussed here. I have Santa coming for a text shoot next week so I'll have some images to play with then and have already downloaded and explored the NIK collection - which looks awesome!

My question, and feel free to tell me to bog off as it's not strictly processing related, is this: Is there anything I need to consider when shooting this (does it need to be lit a particular way) to get this kind of look?

That's an excellent question.  Brian is a lot better to answer it, and I hope @Kim will chime in too.  I'm going to move this thread to Brian's area.

16 hours ago, nunubaby said:

does it need to be lit a particular way

The answer is, it depends on the look you are going for. Could you show me some examples of what you are after? What sort of lights do you have now? What camera and lenses? What area (and how large) is your space. Need rough estimates, such as ceiling height, room width and length, etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian said:

The answer is, it depends on the look you are going for. Could you show me some examples of what you are after? What sort of lights do you have now? What camera and lenses? What area (and how large) is your space. Need rough estimates, such as ceiling height, room width and length, etc.

Hi Brian, thanks for getting back to me!

Damien's posted the link above.

I have two Bowens Gemini 400x a Canon 5d iii and generally shoot with my 24 - 70 f 2.8 for studio portraits like this.

My studio is 20 x 13 foot with a ceiling height of 9.5 ft in the middle and the eaves either end (shooting space is at one end) are 7ft.

Let me know if I've missed anything!

3 hours ago, Kim said:

What sort of look are you wanting Nunubaby?  Do you have any examples?

Thanks for the response Kim, myself and Damien have both given the link above.

Is it not showing? I can't unfortunately pop an image in my reply as it's coming from a flash site.

http://clarksvillesanta.daphnesportraitdesign.com/

Ah sorry, I missed the link Damo posted.  Wow, a lot of editing has happened with those images, but I am guessing you have already talked to Damo about that.  There looks to be a couple of different lighting scenarios here, will be back shortly after having a proper look.

Yes that's right, Damien's given a little advice to another person who asked about these, and I've downloaded and started to explore the NIK Collection which he recommended for the processing.

My question was, what should I consider in terms of prep and lighting. I have Santa coming for a test shoot on Thursday so want to get this exactly right! Those images will be my promotional images for these sessions.

Thank you in advance for any pointers Kim!

:D

OK, the lighting setup looks pretty simple.  One strobe camera left, the other on lower power camera right, both higher than the subjects (with softboxes or umbrellas).  For the ones where the kids are looking into the Santa sack, there appears to be a light in the sack, as you can see it is "uplighting" them (see the light underneath their noses, instead of on top).

• Like 1

Yeah, those images are REALLY EDITED. I agree with Kim, I'd use a large softbox on your main / key light and possibly a strip softbox on your fill light. Probably a 1 stop difference, maybe a 1.5 stop difference. Either way, you are going to have to fiddle.

• Like 1