Dell U2412M and Spyder4pro

Hey Brian/Damien/et al:

I have a question about my monitor - Dell U2412M purchased in January of 2014. When I did the original calibration for this monitor with a spyder4Pro and followed Damien's directions, I remember that  the "current Kelvin value" numbers which were read from each preset were closer to the presets themselves. For example, the 6500 preset was a number much closer to 6500. I know that I picked the preset which fell between 6000-7000; I just don't remember which preset it was (although I'm such a pack rat I probably still have the paper I wrote it down on)! Things seemed to be fine for a while, and then these past few months, I started having problems with my Spyder4Pro (purchased at the end of 2013 I believe) and the calibration reminder not working. Went through downloading the latest version, following their suggestions, etc. and nothing worked. I do have an open ticket with them about that problem, but it's getting old so I may be in the market for a new calibrator.

In addition, every calibration after trying to fix that problem involved doing a full calibration. So, I was back to comparing the presets to the current Kelvin values again, and nothing came close to being between the recommended 6000-7000. I've been getting numbers like 5905 for the 5700 preset and 7371 for the 6500 preset.

So, my highest priority question is: Since I don't have (or at least no longer have) "a preset which gets me in the 6000-7000 range," does that mean I need to get a new monitor after just two years? Or that my Spyder4Pro is messed up and I should get a new calibrator?

Thanks - Jennifer

10 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

So, my highest priority question is: Since I don't have (or at least no longer have) "a preset which gets me in the 6000-7000 range," does that mean I need to get a new monitor after just two years? Or that my Spyder4Pro is messed up and I should get a new calibrator?

Gosh, good question!

How is the actual calibration?  Is it still achieving a print match for you?

I'm wondering if there is a way to default your monitor and then try calibrating? Hmm...

Monitors do change over time though, so as long as your prints are matching, I'd say you are fine. 

Actually, my prints don't seem to be matching very well. I no longer have the prints that I did the first time I calibrated the Spyder4 Pro with my desktop. However, I did have prints made a little while ago, and when I  compared them to my monitor after this stuff started happening, the prints seemed redder and my screen seemed greener.

Also, I'm not sure if it was my eyes playing tricks on me but the last time I calibrated, when I compared the calibrated screen to the uncalibrated screen, again, the calibrated images looked like they had a green tint.

Brian - what does it mean to "default your monitor" - does it mean to set back to factory defaults?

Hey Damien - I couldn't find another computer to try the calibrator on, but I did have another photographer friend com eover (I met her through your group/classes), and she agreed with my assessment that the images on the screen are definitely greener, and the prints are more magenta. Since you talk about the presets being warmer vs. cooler, (rather than green vs magenta) would it make sense to say that the screen being green is actually warmer? And if that is the case - then  should I try the next highest preset to make the screen cooler?

["If you feel that your screen needs to be warmer to match your prints, choose the preset that gave you the next lowest number. If you feel that your screen needs to be cooler to match your prints, choose the next highest preset."]

I have been using the color temp presets (5000K-10,000K). None of those presets have come between 6000-7000 as per your suggestion, I was using 5700K which was giving me a reading of 5947 - the closest to that suggested range. My friend suggested I look at the multimedia or the game presets - does anyone use those?

Ok. And I appreciate you sticking through this with me.  Had posted in another group just for kicks and all I got was dell makes office monitors and if I really want a decent monitor for color management get eizo or nec. Oh and spyder 4 is outdated. None of that was tremendously helpful:(

No - your Spyder instructions were fine. I think I mayhave tried them all in the beginning and came up with the numbered preset of 6500 being the best. The actual value was actually close - that's why O can't figure out what went wrong. But not giving up:)

So I figured that I would try a complete uninstall and reinstall before calibrating again. I followed your instructions for the complete uninstall (which matched Datacolor's except for one thing. After this step: (AppData folder …C:Users[your computer name]AppDataLocal… and completely delete the Datacolor folder), Datacolor adds: Now, please go into the colormanagement tab of your Windows operating system and remove all Spyder profiles there. Select the standard (sRGB) profile - confirm all changes - reboot your computer."

Do you feel that's necessary and if so, how do I get to the color management tab of the WIndows operating system?  Thanks!

I went ahead and removed them bc I figured that had to be them, so I'm at the last step which says "Select the standard (sRGB) profile - confirm all changes" before rebooting, but I don't know where to do that. TIA