Mirrorless or Full frame

Nige

Question

Just wondering if anyone is thinking of changing system to mirrorless or has tried it & went back to FF.

I have apsc & want to go to FF but have heard some really good things about Mirrorless. Not interested in Sony, had a look & just didn't feel organic in my hands but did like the feel of Fuji & Olympus. I have Nikon & have been looking at D750 too, interested to hear other thoughts.

Cheers

13 answers to this question

I sold my full frame D700 and Nikon lenses last year and switched to the Fuji X-T1 with Fuji 23mm and 56mm primes. I have absolutely no regrets and much prefer the way the Fuji renders images over the D700. It's also soooooo much lighter and I never hesitate to grab my camera now, which was the reason I initially looked in to downsizing. The glass is superb as well. The only area where it falls down for me is when it comes to action photography (until this year I pretty much exclusively photographed dogs and the Fuji doesn't like them running straight at the camera or zig zagging towards the camera) but the trade off was worth it for me. If you shoot portraits, landscape or weddings etc then it's awesome, in my opinion anyway. There are quite a lot of pro photographers who now shoot with the X-T1 and you should check out the X-T1 group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/FujifilmXT1/ and also look up Zack Arias and James Day Photography, who both shoot with Fuji. 

Hi all!

I'm happy Nikon owner (D800 + wonderful bunch of lenses), which I will keep. 
I would like very much to have a small & lightweighted full frame mirrorless camera with some 50mm on it.

I was looking on this combo (a7II + the 55mm).

Do you have any recommendations for me? I'm really confused with all the choices on the market. Thanks!

Nige, did you get yourself a mirrorless? Which one? 

I did a fair bit of research & settled on Fuji. I brought a XT1 & i have to say its an amazing bit of kit. Does take some getting used to, autofocus isn't as good as my Nikon with my super fast Daughter but I do find I'm using it a lot more due to the size & getting more photos of her so its a win.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, that's why I'm always sure to mention the autofocus not being as good as a lot of DSLRs. I see so many Fuji fan boys posting an action shot that they've nailed with claims that there's nothing wrong with the X-T1's ability to shoot fast moving subjects, but it's always either something moving smoothly and not directly toward the camera or a one off success and they can't provide multiple nailed shots from the same set. I still love it to bits though and hope you fall in love with it too. The Fuji camera profiles are absolutely gorgeous (I mostly use Provia but sometimes Velvia, Astia or Classic Chrome), so make sure you play with them in your raw processing too. :-)

• Like 1

Thom Hogan has a lot of great articles and thoughts in regards to Mirrorless bodies. Especially in the AF Dept. if your subject is static or moving in a predictable way, usually you can nail focus once you figured out your camera. I will post a few links to his website. 

On 3/22/2016 at 5:23 AM, Nige said:

Just wondering if anyone is thinking of changing system to mirrorless or has tried it & went back to FF.

I have apsc & want to go to FF but have heard some really good things about Mirrorless. Not interested in Sony, had a look & just didn't feel organic in my hands but did like the feel of Fuji & Olympus. I have Nikon & have been looking at D750 too, interested to hear other thoughts.

Cheers

Hi , 

First of all I mirrorless is technology , it has upsides and downsize , it's not relevant if it's apsc or FF (Sony a73 is FF while Fuji's x series are apsc)

The main upside is that you see the exposure in real time which is very nice for natural light photographers and it's a lot easier to nail the focus since you use eye AF (if you have that feature ) or you can move the focus point to the relevant place on the screen instead of focusing and re compose (which isn't easy when you shoot open aparture )

The major downside is that the battery hold less , the cameras are more "fragile" than the dslr and while you do save some weight on the body , the lenses still weight the same as the dslrs one...

A year ago I would also say that there are less lenses to choose from for mirrorless , but today it's not relevant anymore.

Today I'm shooting only with mirrorless because I like the experience , I moved from Nikon D500 to fuji xt2 and than to Sony a7r3 and added also MF gfx 50s to the arsenal ?

1 minute ago, Eran said:

Hi , 

First of all I mirrorless is technology , it has upsides and downsize , it's not relevant if it's apsc or FF (Sony a73 is FF while Fuji's x series are apsc)

The main upside is that you see the exposure in real time which is very nice for natural light photographers and it's a lot easier to nail the focus since you use eye AF (if you have that feature ) or you can move the focus point to the relevant place on the screen instead of focusing and re compose (which isn't easy when you shoot open aparture )

The major downside is that the battery hold less , the cameras are more "fragile" than the dslr and while you do save some weight on the body , the lenses still weight the same as the dslrs one...

A year ago I would also say that there are less lenses to choose from for mirrorless , but today it's not relevant anymore.

Today I'm shooting only with mirrorless because I like the experience , I moved from Nikon D500 to fuji xt2 and than to Sony a7r3 and added also MF gfx 50s to the arsenal ?

Oh , didn't realize it's a question from 2016 ?